Default What Happens After You File a Name Change Petition for an Adult

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Missouri

I recently married my same-sex partner in another state, and for the time being our marriage is not recognized here. I have gone ahead and filled out and filed the petition for name change with my local court, and the clerk seemed to have no idea what was next. She took the paperwork, the filing fee, but could not tell me when/if there will be a hearing or how long all of this is expected to take. She didn't even give me a receipt. She said she'd mail it to me as she was in the middle of working on some other things. I live in a small town of about 2000. The only thing she really said was that lawyers usually submit the paperwork (no kidding, but I feel I know how to fill out paperwork and file it. Never thought I might need a lawyer just because she doesn't know what she is doing, however), and that I would have to submit something to the paper for publication of new name (I've read the official how-to site for missouri which states the clerk takes care of this). So here I sit with no information. I suppose in a day or two I will call or go back down there, but any help from anyone on this?

Default Re: Filed Petition, Clerk Seemed Unsure What to Do

I'm unclear what you are trying to do. If the state you were married in allows you to make your name change as part of the marriage license/certification, then why are you doing anything with the local court. If you didn't change your name in the other state, you need to file a normal name change petition. Is that what you are doing?

Court clerks aren't here to provide legal advice. The clerk however should after your petition is officially accepted, set a hearing date. You need to check with the court until you get one. Sometimes it's not the person who took your money and papers who does this.

Default Re: Filed Petition, Clerk Seemed Unsure What to Do

We got married in Iowa. We live in Missouri. Being a same-sex marriage, and being that same sex marriages are not recognized here, I cannot change my name with the dmv or social security until it is legal, and who knows when that will be. I want to carry my partner's last name, and that is why I am petitioning the court to have a legal name change. I did change my name in the other state, but that is not valid here until it is legal. And yes, I filed a normal name change petition.

Default Re: What Happens After You File a Name Change Petition for an Adult

Name change procedures are summarized here. Depending on the practices of your court, it may be that no hearing is scheduled unless somebody objects to your petition.

Default Re: What Happens After You File a Name Change Petition for an Adult

Thank you. Precisely the information needed!

1. Sponsored Links