Default What Will Walmart Do After it Catches You Shoplifting

My question involves civil rights in the State of: California
    Im 17 and I got caught shoplifting at Wal-Mart it was less then $25.00 they asked me for my address id and name I dont have an id so they couldn't let me go I was wondering if they put pictures up for everyone to see that works there and if so how long would if take for it to be posted I dont know if I was arrested or not because they had a cop go there because I didnt have id he put me in hand cuffs and took me to his car and asked me questions after he uncuffed me gave me a citation and took a photo and my thumb print. Was it a warning or was it bad ?

Default Re: What Will Walmart Do After it Catches You Shoplifting

I would expect both a ticket and a civil demand. It is bad in the sense a criminal conviction could prevent you from getting some jobs.

You were effectively arrested. The citation is a release on your promise to appear in court. So, instead of going to juvenile hall, they released you with a citation. They SHOULD have called mom or dad and released you to one of them.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Walmart will absolutely send you a civil demand to pay them back the amount of loss, plus they usually throw in the "investigator's time."

The ticket was a cite and release. You will have to appear in court, although the District Attorney (or city attorney) depending on where you are might reject it and either (a) never file (unlikely) or (b) file at some later time.

In what county did this happen?

1. Sponsored Links