Red face Transfer Vehicle Title Gifted from Deceased Mother That is Now Totaled

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Texas My mother bought me a vehicle she signed the title over to me
    before she passed away the vehicle was totaled last week can I still transfer title or how do I prove it belongs to me? Thanks

Default Re: Transfer Vehicle Title Gifted from Deceased Mother That is Now Totaled

At the time of the accident it appears to have belonged to her estate. That is who is owed any insurance money for it.

Default Re: Transfer Vehicle Title Gifted from Deceased Mother That is Now Totaled

Quote Quoting Dare
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Texas My mother bought me a vehicle she signed the title over to me
    before she passed away the vehicle was totaled last week can I still transfer title or how do I prove it belongs to me? Thanks
    Not sure I agree with Disagreeable.

If I'm reading this correctly, she signed over the title to you before she died.

That means you've owned it since the day she signed it over and it doesn't belong to the estate.

As far as I can tell, you ought to be able to take the title to the DMV and get it transferred into your name even now.

All the proof you should need is the title with her signature and date where it says seller and your name where it says purchaser.

Make sure you keep copies of both sides of the title before you take it to the DMV.

I suspect the timing of mom's death and the authenticity of the title signing will be debated by the insurer in an effort to prevent payout. I have dealt with a similar circumstance where a vehicle owner lost his title in the crashed car, the insurer refused to pay out on a photo copy, knowing the insured was disabled and unable travel by plane to obtain a new title.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    I suspect the timing of mom's death and the authenticity of the title signing will be debated by the insurer in an effort to prevent payout.
    I didn't bring up the insurance because it's only speculation that the policy was still in the OP's mother's name or that the OP wasn't on the policy, or that there's even an issue with the insurance.

Too many things we don't know yet.

1. Sponsored Links