Default How Should an Online Store Deal with Copyrighted Images

I want to open up an online store to sell video games, with an image for each of the games I sell. I was wondering if all these images were copyrighted and if they are how can I put them up on my website? Would I have to contact all the different gaming companies?

There are lots of these websites out there and I just don't understand how they do it.

Default Re: How Should an Online Store Deal with Copyrighted Images

Quote Quoting theBEAST
    View Post
    I want to open up an online store to sell video games, with an image for each of the games I sell. I was wondering if all these images were copyrighted and if they are how can I put them up on my website? Would I have to contact all the different gaming companies?

There are lots of these websites out there and I just don't understand how they do it.
    In which state are you located, theBEAST, or, if not in the U.S, from what country are you posting?

Are you contemplating selling new or used games?

All video games are rights-protected (under copyright, trademark and, often, patent laws) but the laws do not protect against all uses.

Quote Quoting theBEAST
    View Post

You can post a picture of the item you are selling. That is not a copyright violation.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    You can post a picture of the item you are selling. That is not a copyright violation.
    Speaking broadly, assuming that the OP is in the United States, he can reasonably use a picture he takes of an item he is selling. He can use pictures provided by the manufacturer for the purpose of marketing its products, as long as his use is consistent with the manufacturer's terms for the use of its photos. He should not "borrow" photographs from other websites.

Mr. Knowitall;814509]Speaking broadly, assuming that the OP is in the United States, he can reasonably use a picture he takes of an item he is selling.
    well, if it is a picture of the item he is selling, I would presume he or a person he has requested to take the picture has actually taken the picture. If he takes a pic from the web of somebody else's game, well then that isn't a picture of what he is selling, now is it?

I understand what you are saying though and it does explain it in a much clearer fashion than my post.

I have some sample websites up such as (Steam, Greenmangaming, Kinguin to name a few) but the links got removed for some reason.

I am located in BC Canada. I was not planning to take the images with a camera, I was planning to have images similar to the websites I mentioned above but was unsure of where to get them.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Speaking broadly, assuming that the OP is in the United States, he can reasonably use a picture he takes of an item he is selling. He can use pictures provided by the manufacturer for the purpose of marketing its products, as long as his use is consistent with the manufacturer's terms for the use of its photos. He should not "borrow" photographs from other websites.
    I am pretty sure some manufacturer's have terms that state you cannot use their photos, is there a way to get around this? I noticed there are lots of european websites with all the images from different manufacturers. Could it be that they have different copyright laws that allow them to do this?

If you cannot find pictures from another source, use your own camera to take pictures. Problem solved.

Problem is that some of these games are not available physically, as in the are digital downloads and I can only get the pictures online. What should I do for these?

Also, for the ones physically available, can I just scan a picture of the box, fix it up on photoshop and put it up? In some sense it would end up looking very much like one of the digital photos online.

Quote Quoting theBEAST
    View Post
    Problem is that some of these games are not available physically, as in the are digital downloads and I can only get the pictures online. What should I do for these?

Also, for the ones physically available, can I just scan a picture of the box, fix it up on photoshop and put it up? In some sense it would end up looking very much like one of the digital photos online.
    Fo the versions that are only available by download, you will need to find images that you are allowed to use. The company that owns the game likely has images available for marketing. I would also carefully review the licenses for these games, many do not allow resale.

What are you going to change about the box? If you are doing things like adding a back ground then yes you can. If you are doctoring the photo to change the appearance of the box then you likely won't have copyright issues but you could have issues if you are misrepresenting the product you are selling.

Yes, it could be that every country outside of the US has laws different than the US because ever single one does, including Canada.

1. Sponsored Links