Default How do the Police Prove Who Possesses Stolen Property

My question involves police conduct in the State of: tennessee - In a case of theft of property, if police find property in an individual's vehicle that does not have serial numbers, nor do they have any videotape or eyewitnesses of the merchandise being stolen by the individual, how are police able to provide evidence that merchandise is stolen or would it be a bluff on their part and the prosecutor's part if they claim to have evidence?

Default Re: Evidence of Stolen Property

The crystal ball is out for repairs. We have no possible way to know on what grounds they may be trying to build a case. There are LOTS of types of evidence, even circumstantial evidence. If you're asking if immediate physical evidence is the ONLY evidence, no, it's not.

Default Re: Evidence of Stolen Property

Quote Quoting lorie42
    View Post
    My question involves police conduct in the State of: tennessee - In a case of theft of property, if police find property in an individual's vehicle that does not have serial numbers, nor do they have any videotape or eyewitnesses of the merchandise being stolen by the individual, how are police able to provide evidence that merchandise is stolen
    Looks like what you are asking is how do police provide evidence if there is no evidence?

Obviously they don't, if there isn't any, and the suspect goes free.

Unless, of course, they fabricate it.

Quote Quoting lorie42
    View Post
    would it be a bluff on their part and the prosecutor's part if they claim to have evidence?
    Sure, they could do that, too. The authorities are allowed to lie to suspected criminals.

Default Re: How do the Police Prove Who Possesses Stolen Property

From his other thread:
    Quote Quoting lorie42
    View Post
    in a theft of property case, does property that has been determined as not stolen, get returned to an individual that pleads guilty to a theft of property charge.
    Quote Quoting lorie42
    View Post
    They are wanting to sell off all of the seized property that was found in same vehicle because I don't carry around every receipt to everything I own.
    Based on the start of this thread, I'm feeling a bit less than charitable:
    Quote Quoting lorie42
    View Post
    In a case of theft of property, if police find property in an individual's vehicle that does not have serial numbers, nor do they have any videotape or eyewitnesses of the merchandise being stolen by the individual, how are police able to provide evidence that merchandise is stolen....
    What he seems to be asking is whether the police have to return items that he stole, and kept with items he was convicted of stealing, but where the police either didn't successfully identify the victim of his thefts or where the items match the description of the items he stole but, due to their nature, cannot specifically be proved to be the items he stole.

It's not clear if he's talking about a situation where the police have been holding property in their property room for a considerable time, and are about to auction it because the OP has not been able to prove to their satisfaction that it is his, or if he's talking about criminal forfeiture proceedings. If it's the latter, he can contest the forfeiture through the associated legal proceedings. Either way, he says that he has a lawyer working on the issue.

1. Sponsored Links