Default Terminating Visitation Based on Physical and Verbal Abuse of Children

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: Mo
    My ex husband and I were divorced in 2008. Two children now 10 & 7. During the divorce he became verbally and physically abusive. I obtained a retraining order and the result of divorce is all visitation exchanges at the police station. He can only contact me by email in regards to visitation. I have full custody and he has visitation every other weekend and 2 weeks over the summer. Both children do not want to go to dads anymore. They say he is constantly cursing at them and physically pulling and pushing on them. He did leave marks on a couple of occasions. I called DFS and they did nothing. He will also not allow them to go to any sports, recitals, b-days. Do I have any hope in court to get his visitation revoked?

Default Re: Physical and Verbal Abuse to Children

Quote Quoting mcsb300
    View Post
    . He will also not allow them to go to any sports, recitals, b-days. Do I have any hope in court to get his visitation revoked?
    not based on what you have presented so far. If he was investigated and nothing came from the issue, it would appear there is not enough proof of any wrong doing.

I was afraid of that answer. I got divorced because he was abusive, but now I wish I would of stayed so the kids would never have to be alone with him. How in the world could our court system ignore a dad that is verbally abusive to his kids. He eased up on the physical abuse cause he knew I could call DFS. He still grabs them, pulls and pushes then when they don't do exactly what he wants. He is a big bully with a foul mouth. No kids needs to be called a SOB at ten years old because he can't find his shoes. Sorry sometimes you just need to vent. FYI moms reading this don't leave an abusive man if you have kids, cause your kids get stuck with him and your no longer there to protect them. You married him and had kids with him, stay and protect them. The courts won't protect them. Verbal abuse is worse than physical.

You can consult a lawyer about what you might be able to prove in court, and what a judge is likely to do in response to whatever it is that you can prove. Cutting off all visitation is a pretty huge step, as is the decision of trying to put the kids on the witness stand to testify about the alleged actions of the other parent.

mcsb300;813653]I was afraid of that answer. I got divorced because he was abusive, but now I wish I would of stayed so the kids would never have to be alone with him
    that is not usually successful either. In fact, it often results in worse situations.

How in the world could our court system ignore a dad that is verbally abusive to his kids.
    verbally abusive? it is not generally illegal to yell at your children. It can demeaning and damaging to the psyche but generally not illegal.

He still grabs them, pulls and pushes then when they don't do exactly what he wants.
    I have grandchildren. I grab them, I push them, I pull them. I pick them up and put them in their beds when they are being punished. I may push one from behind and steer them into their bedroom. I may take their hand and pull them into their bedroom.

In itself, the actions you described are not abuse.

No kids needs to be called a SOB at ten years old because he can't find his shoes.
    I'll agree but that is not likely to be seen as illegal.

FYI moms reading this don't leave an abusive man if you have kids, cause your kids get stuck with him and your no longer there to protect them. You married him and had kids with him, stay and protect them. The courts won't protect them. Verbal abuse is worse than physical
    no, that is not good advice. Remaining generally does nothing more than inflames the situation. What they need to do is seek counseling for everybody if possible, remove themselves and their children from a dangerous situation, and if calm cannot be restored to the relationship, leave the person and continue to be a parent and if the need calls for it, report the abuser to the proper authorities. Staying there and ending up "fighting it out" with the other person generally results in it escalating, sometimes to the point of somebody dying.

Agreed, JK.

This doesn't have to be a choice between the lesser of two evils - there are acres of space between that can be used to obtain ones freedom from abuse while trying to maintain the parental/child relationships. Counseling is an excellent suggestion.

It is incredibly difficult to convince the court that a parent should have no visitation at all, and it can even be difficult to get supervised visitation ordered. But there's a great reason for this; all too often one parent feels scorned to the point that they're willing to lie about the other, so proof is needed.

To address the activities issue, if they're scheduled during Dad's parenting time he has the right to say "nope, not taking them". Given their ages I do think it will again be difficult to show the court why Dad's parenting time should be compromised because the kids are in camp, or sports.

1. Sponsored Links