Default Can You Refuse an Interview With a Fraud Investigator

My question involves criminal law for the state of:
    i had a refund at a shop in and because i am younger than the average customers of that store and a foreigner , they suspected and descriminated me by reporting me to the police. they claimed that it was a fraud transaction and a police wrote to me to interview me. i was stupid enough to call him with my phone and he has my number now. he wants to interview me and i don't want to go cause i work with volnrable people and don't want to have a criminal record. so now what are the consequences if i don't go? am i under arrest? i m moving my house soon anyway, can he find me later? can he chase me up with my cell number to find out my full name and DOB? and if yes, what is he going to do with my details? will my name be kept as a criminal? etc... please help

Default Re: A Fraud Investigator Wants to Interview Me, Can I Not Go

If they had your address, them having your phone number is not that big of a deal. Rather than calling you they could just swing on by and have a chat.

unless you are charged and convicted of a crime you have no criminal record.

He he already knows your name so they can look up all sorts of information about you so that means they can follow you around if you move.

It sounds like you are feeling pretty guilty. Most people that have not committed a crime don't get this freaked out about the police calling them. Don't admit it here if you are guilty but I would suggest starting to look for a lawyer. Not suggesting you go and have a chat with the cops (and if you do, consulting with a lawyer first would be a good idea), but if you don't, the cops/ prosecutor will use the info they have to make a determination on the matter. If there is adequate probable cause to believe you committed the crime, they will seek an arrest warrant.

I will will say though:

you you usually cannot talk yourself out of criminal charges but you surely can talk yourself into them. Don't do something stupid that gives them the information to charge and convict you. If they have enough info, they are going to file charges regardless of what you say. If they don't, then they are hoping you will give them enough info to file charges.

Well, obviously, you're not under arrest now.

But if this is a police officer and you don't respond you could be arrested if possible criminal charges are in order.

You have a right to remain silent, but if you are going to stand on that right you risk the possibility of defending yourself against criminal charges.

You would be wise to consult an attorney.

Running away from this is not a good idea.

i must add that police and the store do not have my full names only my phone number and my current address.

- - - Updated - - -

he does not have my full name unless he finds it through my number

- - - Updated - - -

but will they seek for a warrant for 60 dollars jumper??/
    Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    If they had your address, them having your phone number is not that big of a deal. Rather than calling you they could just swing on by and have a chat.

unless you are charged and convicted of a crime you have no criminal record.

He he already knows your name so they can look up all sorts of information about you so that means they can follow you around if you move.

It sounds like you are feeling pretty guilty. Most people that have not committed a crime don't get this freaked out about the police calling them. Don't admit it here if you are guilty but I would suggest starting to look for a lawyer. Not suggesting you go and have a chat with the cops (and if you do, consulting with a lawyer first would be a good idea), but if you don't, the cops/ prosecutor will use the info they have to make a determination on the matter. If there is adequate probable cause to believe you committed the crime, they will seek an arrest warrant.

I will will say though:

you you usually cannot talk yourself out of criminal charges but you surely can talk yourself into them. Don't do something stupid that gives them the information to charge and convict you. If they have enough info, they are going to file charges regardless of what you say. If they don't, then they are hoping you will give them enough info to file charges.

Are you in the US?
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

No, s/he is not.

OP, you'll want to seek information relevant to UK law here.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links