Smile When Can a Landlord Charge a Tenant for Damaged Carpet

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Missouri

I moved into my rental a year ago and at this time my landlord
    put in a brand new carpet. Shortly after moving in I caused several burns
    in the carpet. My medicine at that time was making me fall asleep. It was
    similar to narcolepsy. There are several burns, but the carpet is just fine
    everywhere else. We just cleaned it as well and it is now a year old.

I have just renewed my lease. So I am at least going to be here another
    year. I plan to be here for many more, I also have two children and I
    am disabled. So my landlord insists on changing the entire carpet! Actually
    he is going to do it no matter what and make me pay!! This carpet is perfect
    except for the burn holes. Also I moved my furniture around and bought
    a carpet to hide the burns. A few are visible. What can I do? I do not want to
    to have to pay for another carpet that I will have to pay for AGAIN when I move
    out. I think this is ridiculous. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Wants to Replace a Brand New Carpet and Bill Me Missouri

Are you planning on burning more holes in the carpet during your second year of tenancy?

If not, why do you think you will have to pay for another carpet when you move out?

If so, it's rather surprising that your lease was renewed since it would appear your habit of falling asleep while smoking makes you a rather dangerous tenant to have.

Gail

Wow. U are kinda rude. If u had read and used your common sense, you would have understood that it was a medicine I was taking at the time and not a "habit." Also I am disabled, do u support discriminating against someone that has a problem that cannot be helped due to some obvious medical issue? Thanks for nothing. Your advice would have been welcome but your opinion is not. Have a nice evening.

It's not exactly rocket science that, if you're taking medication that is going to make you nod out, you shouldn't smoke cigarettes after taking your dose. Even if you didn't figure that out the first time, you kept doing it? With children in the house? Your indignation is misdirected.

You can ask your landlord if he'll delay replacing the carpet until you move out, such that you can benefit from another year of depreciation when he charges you for replacing the carpet you damaged. Depending on the nature and extent of the damage, and particularly if there are holes that create a potential hazard, the landlord may believe that it's necessary to change the carpet to maintain the premises as safe and habitable.

Default Re: When Can a Landlord Charge a Tenant for Damaged Carpet

No not misdirected. My children are not young, who would smoke with young children anyway? Even then, I don't smoke when they are here. You are saying things and judging what u don't understand, so don't. I am no idiot. Have u ever fell asleep with no warning? Then not knowing you had been asleep? You have no earthly idea what happened nor how this works. So shhh. Don't judge. I regret being honest, I didn't know you would assume you know what you are talking about when you don't. Again advice is appreciated but your opinion can be stuck somewhere i am sure you can figure out. Get out from behind your desk and live a little and then maybe you will learn a thing or two. Mr. Knowitall knows very little. I bet you do not have any friends.

Default Re: When Can a Landlord Charge a Tenant for Damaged Carpet

You are a whiny little brat, aren't you.

1. Sponsored Links