Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Amend Minor's Birth Certificate to Reflect Bio Father's Last Name

Quote Quoting nj83
    View Post

CourtClerk

What is OP?
    That's you
    How do I rewrite the order?
    I'm not going to go step by step for you. If you utilized the services of an attorney, you need to call them. If you didn't you need to research how to write an order that satisfies the needs of the Department of Vital Statistics while still satisfying the needs of the court and follows the law.
    Do I file the motion and just explain in my own words that I want the bio dad named as the legal father, adjudicate my ex husband from his paternal rights and request to amend the BC?
    Not exactly. That's what you're going to have to research. You can't write it in your own words. It needs to be written in legalese.
    The thing is that MD says they do not have the authority with regards to amending DC BSes but in the office of vital records they said it does not matter which state the order comes from.
    Both are correct. MD cannot ORDER DC to do anything, but they will accept a properly written order from a foreign state that meets their requirements for amending a birth record. You have to remember that a birth certificate is a legal document. It can't be filed willy nilly and it can't be changed just willy nilly.

The other thing I need to address is that it is wholly irresponsible of you to wait 2 years to address the issue of the wrong sex of the child being put on the birth certificate. Saying "I just use hospital records" is just lazy because at some point, hospital records aren't going to suffice for your child to navigate themselves through life and the longer you wait to deal with something that could have been easily corrected on the day you signed the birth certificate or the minute you received your copy in the mail, the harder it gets for you to correct those errors.

Once that certificate gets filed with the State, you're no longer dealing with a hospital and a county that has to fix what amounts to a simple clerical error.
    You're now dealing with a birth certificate that needs to be legally sealed and the works done. I can't imagine what you could have been doing for the last 2 years that this has been put on the back burner.

Not that you want to hear it, but you seriously need to get your priorities straight. You sound too young to have all this drama going on in your life and now you're not allowing someone else to live their life because they have to help you deal with your mess. Hire an attorney to fix this and allow your ex husband to go be free of you.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

CourtClerk

The gender and misspelling is a quick fix. I called the hospital and Office of Vital Statistics, and they said it's not a problem.
    With the legal/bio dad situation I was on my own. I did not have an attorney. I am looking for one right now. But it seems such case are pretty rare (even though on average third of fathers raise nonbiological children and do not even know about it up to a moment). I do not know where you are located, but if you know any in Maryland, please give me the contacts.

As to my maturity/responsibility level. It's always easy to put a blame on a woman. There are 3 people involved. I am not the one who is wholly responsible for everything.
    My ex husband left me way before the baby was conceived. He was pretty reluctant to be divorced. I am very delicate when asking him of something and never pressure him. I was the one who did all the paperwork and spent many many hours reading the laws and provisions.

Quote Quoting nj83
    View Post
    CourtClerk

The gender and misspelling is a quick fix. I called the hospital and Office of Vital Statistics, and they said it's not a problem.
    With the legal/bio dad situation I was on my own. I did not have an attorney. I am looking for one right now. But it seems such case are pretty rare (even though on average third of fathers raise nonbiological children and do not even know about it up to a moment). I do not know where you are located, but if you know any in Maryland, please give me the contacts.
    This isn't rare at all. There are tons of women all over the world who name the wrong men on birth certificates.

As to my maturity/responsibility level. It's always easy to put a blame on a woman. There are 3 people involved. I am not the one who is wholly responsible for everything.
    You know why? You are ultimately in control as to whether or not you give birth to a child. You can abort a child without the consent of a man, you consented to having sex with a man while you were still married to another one too. You had just as much of the ability to go file for divorce before you laid in someone else's bed just like the man who impregnated you should have had enough sense not to sleep with a married woman IF you told him you were still married. However, the only INNOCENT in this whole thing is the child who has to deal with 3 dysfunctional human beings through no fault of his own. Yes, it is easy to blame you because YOU made it all happen.
    My ex husband left me way before the baby was conceived.
    Which gave you plenty of time to get divorced. After all, you found the time to meet a new man, date him and sleep with him. Priorities, priorities
    He was pretty reluctant to be divorced.
    You weren't as reluctant to move on with your life. You should have closed one door before you opened another one. Now you've got both doors open and a child who doesn't at this point have a permanent door thanks to his mother. Apparently you either don't know that a man doesn't have to file for divorce, you can be the moving party as well. The very minute that you decided you wanted some other man feeling on your goodies, you should have put that on hold to terminate the other relationship.

But that requires self control and common sense and I've learned that if common sense was as common as its name infers, everyone would have some and that just isn't the case.

I'm not going to help you find an attorney. Google, yellow pages, the find an attorney link on this site. I don't get myself that deeply involved in voluntary messes.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

[QUOTE=nj83;810110]CourtClerk
    The gender and misspelling is a quick fix.
    then why didn't you fix it immediately? What if the hospital records were lost in between the birth and the time you decided to correct the BC?

you are responsible for your actions or inaction though. Your inaction followed by your actions are the reason you are where you are.

My ex husband left me way before the baby was conceived.
    what's way before? It could help in making this easier.

I got your point.

People who receive food stamps are lazy
    A raped women is at fault because she was wearing a miniskirt
    etc etc etc

But thanks for an earlier advice anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

jk

I have all the copies of the birth records and hospital discharge forms.

We separated about 7 months before the conception.

Quote Quoting nj83
    View Post
    I got your point.
    Yes, if they're sitting at home not trying to do anything else but work on their social life instead of bettering themselves and then want to blame all the people who may have had some sort of fault in why they're in the position they're in... they're lazy
    You weren't raped. You gave it up WILLINGLY... multiple times. That you could compare this situation to a woman who was RAPED means that you have some serious issues in your head.

That comment right there gives me a real good idea as to why your husband left and the new daddy hasn't married you yet.

- - - Updated - - -
    jk

That's great until you come across the one government agency that won't accept them... and there are many.

Quote Quoting nj83
    View Post
    I got your point.

etc etc etc

- - - Updated - - -

jk

We separated about 7 months before the conception.
    Certified copies?
    and the time isn't great enough to be advantageous

jk

Just plain old copies. Not certified.
    The lady in the legal dept of the Office of Vital Statistics told me there is time limitations

A copy of just about any official document that is not certified is worthless. If not for a seal or such affixed to it, you can make just about any document you want and it look legit.

And and time limit for what?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post

And and time limit for what?
    I am sorry, I meant there is NO time limitations to amend the BC. 18 years + will be harder to do.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast