Default Failure to Notify Address Change to DMV

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: New York

I was in the military stationed in New York State and received a failure to report change of address to the DMV citation in the 2010/2011 time frame. I think I may have thought it was only a warning or maybe I just blew it off, it was long enough ago that I do not actually remember why I did not take care of the traffic violation while I was in the state. I live in Texas and this ticket is affecting my ability to get a new license made.

At the time I had a Texas driver’s license and continued to register my car through Texas State even though I was living in New York. I have a pre-trial conference call scheduled for June 3rd. I have initially pleaded not guilty. My license is apparently currently suspended in New York State because of this. What I have found online regarding the notification of change of address on form MV-232 (NY DMV change of address form) the first bullet states, “If you have a New York State driver license, learner permit or non-driver ID card, or a registration for a vehicle, boat or snowmobile, you are required by law to notify DMV within 10 days of an PERMANENT address change, Do NOT report temporary changes (such as school or military addresses).” (emphasis that of the form). Furthermore, at dmv.org it states, “The NY state DMV requires you to update your address within 10 days of moving. If you are a military member temporarily stationed outside of New York, you do not need to report an address change.”

Both statements seem vague to me. The latter specifies military personnel stationed outside the state of New York, but does not mention military members from another state temporarily stationed in the New York. Does anybody have a clearer explanation of the law for my situation? I would like to avoid paying any type of fine if I can. Can anybody point me to a website where I can research the answer for myself? Thanks in advance any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wolfey

Default Re: Failure to Notify Address Change to DMV

If you were in NY, in the military due to change of station, present that proof to the court and the ticket should be dropped. You should never ignore BMV or judicial notices.

Default Re: Failure to Notify Address Change to DMV

Disagreeable,

Thank you for your reply. I am not entirely sure why I did not take care of the ticket when I got it. It was a surprise to me when I found out I had a suspended license in New York.

1. Sponsored Links