Default Used Car Buyer Still Hasn't Registered Title After Five Months

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Missouri

I sold a car to my brother in January. He took out a loan through his credit union to pay off my outstanding loan.
    His credit union gave him the title, and lien release forms but he still has not titled/registered the car - he has no real reason for not doing it except he thinks he doesn't have to follow the rules.
    Does this mean the car is still registered in my name and in my state (Kansas)?
    Would I be liable if he is in an accident?
    Would titling/registering the car be a condition of the loan?

Default Re: Used Car Buyer Still Hasn't Registered Title After Five Months

Quote Quoting andie_sherman
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Missouri
    Quote Quoting andie_sherman
    Does this mean the car is still registered in my name and in my state (Kansas)?
    Kansas is not part of Missouri.

If I am to infer from your statement that you hold a Kansas title for the car, the DOR explains,
    Quote Quoting I sold my vehicle and I want my name removed from vehicle record.
    To have your name removed as vehicle owner from the vehicle record after the title has been assigned and delivered to the new owner, a Seller's Notification of Sale, form TR-216 may be completed and submitted to the Titles and Registrations Bureau along with the required fee listed on the current form.

To ensure that you have proof of transfer of ownership, you can make a copy of the front and back of the title after it has been assigned. When you transfer or surrender the registration (license plate), in the county treasurer’s motor vehicle office, the record for the disposed vehicle showing your name as owner will no longer be the current ownership record and you will not need to file a Seller’s Notification of Sale form.

Always remove the license plate(s) from a vehicle or trailer you have sold or disposed of by assigning the title.

1. Sponsored Links