Default Driver Who Caused an Accident Now Says I Hit His Car

My question involves an accident that occurred in the state of: Washington

I got in a minor accident with a guy who cut me off and forced me off the road. He agreed he was at fault and to "work it out" with me outside of filing a claim for us to both avoid a rate increase, and so we didn't get a police report (we were told by the cop who was about to that our insurance companies are automatically notified).

Fast forward a few days, and he is claiming not only that we never had a deal, but that I HIT HIM! He also admitted on a recorded conversation that his vehicle had no damage as a result. (I advised him I was recording at the start of the call). As I understand, here in Washington, we're a "no-fault" state.

The damage estimate is around $1700. My deductible is $250. How much can I expect my rates to increase if I file? I'm brand new to this insurance company (Esurance). Knowing an expected increase, I can at least judge whether to pay to have it fixed myself or not. Also not sure if it's worth it to have it on my record or not.

Also, as I understand, in a "no-fault" state, there is no suing people for minor accidents. Do I have any legal options for getting him to pay up or am I pretty much hosed?

Thanks for your help
    -J

Default Re: $1700 Damage, $250 Deductable, No-Fault State. Worth It to Claim

where did you see that Washington is a no fault state?

anything I saw stated the opposite, at least to property damage.

I was told this by the Washington State Patrol when I called to see what the process was to file an accident report yourself.

WA is NOT a no-fault state. If you want verification, just call your insurance agent and ask.

Barry
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

1. Sponsored Links