Default Speeding Ticket by Camera in School Zone when Light is Flashing

Hello all,
    I live in Kent Washington.
    today I have received first ticket for violation of speed in school zone when light is flashing. It has $248 amount for violation.
    Sign say speed limit is 20 when yellow light is flashing but this road has 35 speed limit otherwise.
    I was going 31 MPH when light was flashing. and that day I was going there for first time to that route. today I went back to check how I missed this flashing light. I found that road is very curvy and you do not see light until you reach very near to light because there is growing tree in front of that and due road curve as well.
    so when you are going on 35-40 and hit breaks, camera takes your picture before you come to limit.
    I am thinking to chose mitigation hearing in person, but what explanation should I put in front of judge, and what kind of question they gonna ask(since this my first time). also how can make him believe that those flashing light is not clearly visible because it hide behind tree. Should I take video to hearing of that road.
    Please advise. I can not afford to pay this amount. I have family of 3 to feed and does not earn good.

Default Re: Speeding Ticket by Camera in School Zone when Light is Flashing

Is there a different story you were considering sharing with the judge, other than the one you shared here? If not, I suggest going with the truth. If you want to show the court video, you had best ensure that the court either has playback equipment or that your equipment will be deemed acceptable. Still photographs are easier.

I'm assuming you're talking about Neeley-O'Brien. The problem with your story is that there is a "warning" sign before you ever get to the school zone sign. Google Maps even shows it pretty clearly. The only difference between the Google Maps image and the real thing is that the actual sign now has the requisite "Photo Enforced" sign beneath it. Plus, as you can see, the actual school zone sign is in plain sight just down the road -- the trees do not obscure your view.

I assume you were cited under RCW 46.61.440. You might notice that paragraph (3) states (in part):

Quote Quoting RCW 46.61.440 (3)
    This penalty may not be waived, reduced, or suspended.
    So, MOST jurisdictions won't even entertain a mitigation hearing -- the purpose of which is to get the fine reduced. However, you could ask the judge to consider that you were cited at 11 over the limit. Had the device detected you at 10 over the limit, the fine would have been $203 and ask if, given the possible error in the device, if he would consider changing the speed to 30, rather than 31. You just never know.

The good news is that this will not go on your record or affect you insurance rates.

Barry

Edit: Oh, be sure to check with RCW 46.63.170 (such as paragraph (e) which notes that the NOI must be sent within 14 days of the infraction) to be sure that all the T's are crossed and I's are dotted.
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

I got ticket under similar circumstances, but only difference was that I was cited by a cop.

In my case, I was cited at 1:55PM when the school actually had a class. I cited that as a reason in my defense and showed that Children could not present outside during normal class hours and hence 25MPH speed limit was not warranted (flashing lights were on in my case too)

However, in my case, the sign board read "25MPH when children are present" and I used it as a base for my defense. Referring to the the link provided above, I donot see any sign board like that. It just says "School zone 20MPH" . So it might get a little tricky.

YOu can try whatever I have suggested.

Thanks Barry for your reply and information. But it happened on other side of road going north, which is really not clearly visible. and they did sent the NOI in time.

1. Sponsored Links