Default Stone wall as a boundary line

Does anyone know any information about stonewalls as a boundry line? I have moved a stonewall that was part of the boundry line and now 5years later my neighbor is making a big deal about it. Any help about who owns/has rights to the wall?

Default Re: Stonewall

You would have to have an accurate survey and any pertinent documents to be able to prove who the owner is.

The definition line between 2 properties is of immeasurable width.

If the wall was completely on one side or the other of the demarcation, that would tend to show ownership or at least control, to a great degree.

If it straddled the line, it may have been built as a common fence/wall and could be jointly owned.

What did any survey show?

Default Re: Stone wall as a boundary line

The blueprint from the original subdivision has the stonewall as the line. I am currently in the process of having it resurveyed to get more detail. Are there any specific questions I should ask the surveyer? Any specific information that he should know prior to completing the survey? Thank you for your first post it gives me a place to start.

Default Re: Stone wall as a boundary line

if you have a competent surveyor, they will be asking all the appropriate questions to determine the lines. Simply let them know the situation so they are sure to include or research any germane facts concerning the eall, especially since you have moved it. tell them waht you want to accomplish and they should ask the needed questions. If you feel you have info they could use, let them know, it may save them some research time but let them do thier job.

A surveyors job entails more than simply stringing lines. They often are responsible for initiating corrections due to inaccurate descriptions and other survey errors along with many other problems.

1. Sponsored Links