Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Delay in Diagnosis of Pheocromocytoma

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: VA
    I have been recently diagnosed with pheochromocytoma, a tumor of the adrenal gland. At any stage the only course of treatment is surgery for complete removal. I have had classic symptoms for years and was diagnosed I March 2014 as a result of a CT scan for an unrelated issue. After consultation with my surgeons I was asked why I waited for treatment as this is life threatening if untreated and possibly cancerous. As is turns out, an adrenal mass was detected in 2007 and I was not informed, treated, or any followup at all.

Default Re: Pheocromocytoma

Quote Quoting mnmgil
    View Post
    My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: VA
    I have been recently diagnosed with pheochromocytoma, a tumor of the adrenal gland. At any stage the only course of treatment is surgery for complete removal. I have had classic symptoms for years and was diagnosed I March 2014 as a result of a CT scan for an unrelated issue. After consultation with my surgeons I was asked why I waited for treatment as this is life threatening if untreated and possibly cancerous. As is turns out, an adrenal mass was detected in 2007 and I was not informed, treated, or any followup at all.
    I think I know where I'm going before I answer, but the question needs to be asked nonetheless.

When you had the scan in 2007, did your blood-work come back normal or within normal limits?

I had no blood work related to the adreanal mass.

That's not what I asked

You went for an imaging study for....what?

You would generally have labs drawn either at that time or before...I'm trying to get to somewhere specific, k?

this is life threatening if untreated
    but you are alive. If you had died because it was known and not treated, your survivors could sue for a wrongful death but since you are alive, it's moot.

As is turns out, an adrenal mass was detected in 2007 and I was not informed, treated, or any followup at all.
    what symptoms did you have that are associated with pheochromocytoma?

why did you have an imaging study done of your adrenal gland?

They did a CT Scan for a enlarged lymph node in the lungs and found an enlarged adreanal mass as incidental. Radiologist opinion lungs were not an issue and no other test were done.

Default Re: Delay in Diagnosis of Pheocromocytoma

They have not been able to figure out many of my underlying medical conditions for over 2 decades. If there were an actual case, I could sue about 50 different doctors and 6 hospitals. The doctors rely on the interpretation of the radiologist. If you have any case it is against him.

No, I need to exactly WHY the imaging studies were ordered in the first place.

Lung cancer?

They did a CT Scan for a enlarged lymph node in the lungs and found an enlarged adreanal mass as incidental. Radiologist opinion lungs were not an issue and no other test were done.

The first scan of 2007 the radiologist noted adrenal mass and my family doctor never notified or informed me, no follow up was done.

- - - Updated - - -

The first scan of 2007 the radiologist noted adrenal mass and my family doctor never notified or informed me, no follow up was done.

"incidental" is where things will get tricky for you.

This applies to every state: there is no law requiring a physician to tell you about every incidental finding. If you ask, that's different....sometimes.

The other reason it falls down is the nature of the condition itself; pheochromocytomas are rarely malignant.

Finally, it's a very rare tumor and the signs can mimic quite literally hundreds or other conditions.

Now, before I set that in stone I STILL need an answer here.

You keep saying no other testing was done - if that was the case, how did they find the enlarged node? What were your vitals? (blood pressure and the like)

Once again, I'm going somewhere very specific with this

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast