Default Neighbor Disputes Surveyor's Findings

My question involves real estate located in the State of: CT
    We just had our property surveyed it seem that my neighbor has been making there yard larger which now to come find out is my property it measures approximately 25x50 feet. While the surveyor was staking that line my neighbor which I have never talked to had very choice words for him and insisted he was wrong. I have tried reasoning with them and said if you believe my listened surveyor is wrong get your own done. We were getting the survey done to clear our property we have lived here for 3 years. They also have an electric dog fence encroaching and pile all of there brush and what not on my now know property. She has cursed me out and basically said get out of her yard, I tried to ask her if she was willing to buy the chunk of land from me that followed a lot of cursing from her. At this point I told her that I am putting a fence up right through what you think is your property. She said I can't because the town doesn't know and I advised permits will be pulled and that was the purpose of the survey. She is very belligerent and said that the survey means nothing that she could get 5 different surveys and they all would be different I laughed that one off. She doesn't want to get her own done because it cost money so she doesn't even seem that she wants to dispute the line just very insistent that's he is wrong. While my surveyor was there she took one of his stakes out and we advised her not to do so because that is against the law. I am going to write her a certified letter staing to remove her property my a certain date or I will remove it at her cost. I am going to post signs for no trespassing and dumping. Oh another thing I told her how is it fair that I am paying taxes and insurance on what you think is your yard. She said not her problem and thanks for the free land. Am I liable if something happens on that portion that she thinks is hers. What steps should I take at this point my resolution is just to put up the ugliest fence I can find as I won't see it but she will any advice is greatly apperciated
    Thanks
    Jon

Default Re: Property Line Question with

my resolution is just to put up the ugliest fence I can find as I won't see it but she will any advice is greatly apperciated
    My advice would be to not consider that. Your state has a "spite fence" law (Sec. 52-480) which would give the neighbor just the opening to get back at you.

People stealing are frequently very upset when caught and called out. Believe me, your surveyor has seen this before.

Am I liable if something happens on that portion that she thinks is hers.
    Possibly. Contact your homeowner's insurance company for more information or pay for an opinion from your attorney.

What if I just put up a standard chain link fence to define property lines

- - - Updated - - -

I am under the assumption that I can install a fence on what my surveyor staked and she really can't say anything cause she is unwilling to get her own survey done right??

Make sure that you are in compliance with all local fence ordinances and that you have all required permits.

It might be good to wait a few days so that the neighbor can have time to get the five or so surveyors on site.

1. Sponsored Links