Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Employer Gave New Hire a Short Probationary Period

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: CA

I am the only employee out of 35 that is in this city's branch of an international Korean company that is not Korean or of Korean descent, (there is one Vietnamese, and one Filipino but that is it for the diversity of the company's branch here). I am of Jewish and Italian descent, and white skinned. This is a sales company.

The company has a training program that includes a 3 month probationary period at which the employee is designed to be trained so that he can do his job appropriately. Other new sales reps are given this 3 month training period. I have been given a 3 WEEK probation period, with only 5 days to sell a major product or I will be terminated. I do not understand the product properly nor the procedures to actually deliver the product to the consumer, so I am guaranteed to fail. This was not discussed in the employee handbook, nor at the interviews.

Is there such a thing as discrimination against a "non minority" group?

in brief:

standard employee: 3 month to train, sell and deliver product, 100% Asian/Pac. Islander group
    me: 2 weeks to "train", 1 week to sell product.
    Me: White (Jewish and Italian).

Please advise.

Default Re: Only White Person in an All Korean/Pac Islander Company

Do you have any proof they have not changed their policy and trained every other employee?

proof, how would I acquire that?

I called HR (it is in another state) and he told me that training is dependent on the manager (and my city-office has several managers, each with sales people reporting to them), and he stated that it was "strange" (-his quote) that I was put out to sell products so quickly without being given solid training. I sell surgical devices, destined for a surgical environment, and so proper training is paramount.

There is another office at another city that we associate with, and they have white employees and black employees. The newer employees in that branch have been with the company at least a month and have a mandate to sell by the end of 3 months. The new employee in my office (other than me) has had 2 months and is closing onto his third month to sell a product or be terminated. They both are on different managers.

So...is HR going to investigate?

Did you express your concern to your manager and then escalate it to the regional manager?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    So...is HR going to investigate?
    I did not declare it to be workplace discrimination openly. I did hint at it, and he said that he, the HR is a white person of Italian descent. He did suggest that I look for another job, however. HR is located east coast.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    Did you express your concern to your manager and then escalate it to the regional manager?
    no. I did not tell my manager that he is discriminating against me. I do not want workplace retaliation. It would be crystal clear who was doing the complaining, if all of a sudden someone is talking discrimination directed at this large office.

Well, you're not going to get much of anywhere if you don't report your complaint and give the company a chance to do something about it.

fine, I'll call tomorrow. I didnt say "workplace discrimination" to the HR, but I did say "different standards of training and employment" and "only non asian face in the office of 30-40 people". If that doesnt strongly hint at discrimination, then HR is burying his head in the sand.

They previously hired a non-asian rep (this manager) and fired him on the 4th day (fickle reasons). They wanted to fire me on the 8th day (fickle reasons). I convinced him otherwise. Hence he gave me a week to sell something.

Ahhhh, so there is a reason they are not training you. They have already decided to terminate you absent a compelling reason.

Quote Quoting keen0arene
    View Post
    They previously hired a non-asian rep (this manager) and fired him on the 4th day (fickle reasons). They wanted to fire me on the 8th day (fickle reasons). I convinced him otherwise. Hence he gave me a week to sell something.
    So you were actually given the same probationary period as everybody else but, having come close to being fired within that period, have been given a week to prove that you should keep your job? Being on probation as a new hire is not a guarantee that you won't be fired before the end of the probationary period.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast