Default Will a Debt Collector Pursue Foreign Debts in the U.S.

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: California

Hi, i lived in Brazil about 10 years ago Left the country and forgot to close a bank account, i didn't have any debt, however the fees and other bank charges started to grow for the last 8 years, and now i got an email notification from a collection agency in brazil that i owe around $10k usd. It is all based on some $50 dollar fee in 2007 and it I am not a resident of brazil, i live in california now and i want to know what is the risk that i have if i simply let that roll and ignore it and if there is any advice on how to negotiate this and if it is worth it. I do not plan to go back there to live ever, so i'd like to know if they can pursue me in the U.S and if my assets here are at risk.

thanks,

peteralex

Default Re: Debt in Brazil - Moved to U.s What is the Risk

There is a very, very, small chance they could attempt to get the debt recognized by a CA court if they could track your address. I would say you have a better chance of getting stung by a bee this summer than that happening.

ok, my only concern is that this thing grows to the hundreds in 10-15 years based the rate that it grew in the past 8.

Get a lawyer. They may be able to sue, even if they are offshore. Nearly all consumer bankruptcy & credit attorneys offer free consultations. Take advantage of this to meet with one and get advice based on all of the details of your particular situation.

1. Sponsored Links