Default Divorce With Assets in a Foreign Country

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Florida.

My sister-in-law is married to a man who has dual citizenship. In his country of origin he has assets worth several million $$$s. In the U.S. their only marital asset is the family home, worth about $400,000 free and clear. All my sister-in-law wants from the divorce is the house. She recognizes that since he has returned to his country of origin she is not likely to be able to collect any alimony award any way. Children are now grown so there's not child support. It would be impossible for her to prove the assets he holds in the middle east, however. They are real estate holdings, business assets, and cash in bank accounts in other countries under his foreign passport. Yes, he hides assets from the U.S. gov't.

On these facts, what are her chances of getting 100%title to the house in the divorce?

Default Re: Divorce With Assets in a Foreign Country

That will depend on his stance toward settlement, what can be proved in litigation, and how hard the parties litigate.

Your sister-in-law should discuss her situation in detail with a divorce lawyer who is familiar with this type of situation. I can't promise that every member will be a great lawyer, but she may want to look at the membership roster of an organization like the AAML whose members are often experienced with high asset and complicated divorce cases.

1. Sponsored Links