Default Package Lost After Delivery to the Front Desk of My Apartment Building

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Georgia

Hello!
    I live in an apartment complex. When I receive a package from ups/FedEx... it is delivered at the lobby where the front desk clerk signs the conformation of delivery.

One week ago, I received a package, the ups tracking number confirm the delivery and I have the name of the person who signed for the delivery.
    When I went to the lobby to take my package they did not have it, they told me that the package hasn't been delivery or has been returned to Ups (if my apt number was not written clearly on the package); they told me to see with ups.

I reported a claim to ups. After few days od investigation ups confirmed that the packaged has been delivered and confirmed the name of the person who signed for the delivery.
    I would like to know if the residential management is responsible of the lost of my package? Do i have to ask them a refund of the value of the package?

Any advices would be appreciated!
    Thank you
    Antoine

Default Re: Package Lost After Delivery to the Front Desk of My Apartment Building

We don't know whether your lease requires deliveries to come to the lobby, or if that's something that you arranged for your convenience. We don't know if the lease or other agreement with the complex limits their liability if a package, delivered to the front desk, disappears. Those are important details. We also don't know what security measures are taken at the front desk when they hold packages or other items for tenants, or whether there is surveillance video. We don't know if the person who signed for the package has acknowledged receiving it, claims to not recall the package at issue, or was the one who said that it never arrived or was sent back.

You should be able to find out from the shipper or from UPS if your apartment number was on the shipping label.

What did management say when you pointed out that a specific employee had signed for the package, and that UPS denied that it was returned to them?

Default Re: Package Lost After Delivery to the Front Desk of My Apartment Building

Thank you Mr. Knowitall,
    Following your reply, I checked my lease and unfortunately I signed a clause that mention :" packages will only be accepted if you have initialed the space below as authorization and release of all liability to accepting and storing packages." With this clause I can not ask anything.

I mentioned to the management that a specific employee signed for the package, but they reply that the employee does not sign for one package but make one signature for all the packages that UPS delivered this day, if there are two or twenty packages UPS asks one signatures, so they don't know anything about my personnal package.

Antoine

Quote Quoting Antoine39
    View Post
    I mentioned to the management that a specific employee signed for the package, but they reply that the employee does not sign for one package but make one signature for all the packages that UPS delivered this day, if there are two or twenty packages UPS asks one signatures, so they don't know anything about my personnal package.

Antoine
    This is true, I ship things quite often and at least 75% of shipping problems I have relate to this. How long ago was the package supposed to be delivered? There is a very good chance that the package is still with UPS. I would call the local number (the last location before delivery on the tracking info).

Quote Quoting brownj12
    View Post
    This is true, I ship things quite often and at least 75% of shipping problems I have relate to this. How long ago was the package supposed to be delivered? There is a very good chance that the package is still with UPS. I would call the local number (the last location before delivery on the tracking info).
    if the OP had not signed that release of liability clause, the quantity of packages would be irrelevant. The person signing is signing for all the packages on the list. If they fail to ensure that all the packages on the list are actually there, well, too bad for them since they did sign they received the missing package and can be held liable for its loss after they received it.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    if the OP had not signed that release of liability clause, the quantity of packages would be irrelevant. The person signing is signing for all the packages on the list. If they fail to ensure that all the packages on the list are actually there, well, too bad for them since they did sign they received the missing package and can be held liable for its loss after they received it.
    I agree, I was offering advice on how to get the package, regardless of legal options.

Quote Quoting brownj12
    View Post
    I agree, I was offering advice on how to get the package, regardless of legal options.
    and they were great suggestions!!!

1. Sponsored Links