Default Ticketed for Following to Closely

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Texas

I was on the Hwy going the speed limit. Gave the Car in front decent amount of space if you want exact amount probably 1 car space as there was no traffic at all and we were moving. There was no accident at all. The cop was behind another car that was behind me. Than that car moved out of the way, he than turned his sirens on and I promptly proceeded to exit and pull over so I can see what was going on. He than states I was following to closely which some how he observed from behind me even quoted saying "you gave that car 1 car length you could of backed off more" So my question is can you fight this? is it worth it? should i just pay the $202?? every post I looked at got this ticket for rear ending someone or something along those lines or they were following the cop etc. just want so info on what I should do.

edit-
    also driving condition were clear and dry sun was shining time this occurred 5pm central there was no bumper to bumper traffic.

Default Re: Ticketed for Following to Closely

Quote Quoting naerok
    View Post
    So my question is can you fight this? is it worth it?
    Sure, you can fight any ticket that is your right.

I don't know where you got your driver training but 1 car length at highway speeds is NOT leaving a decent space between vehicles. At 60mph you are traveling 88ft in 1second. Throw in reaction times and think about what's going to happen when the front car slams on their brakes to avoid that animal that just ran out in front of them?
    The fact as stated that there was no traffic makes this even worse as there was no reason to be so close to the other car.

Yes, I'm sure that there are lots of posts on here about getting this ticket after rear ending another car but that doesn't mean you have to hit someone to be guilty of following too closely. If you read further you will also see lots of posts with the following statement "I was following at a safe distance when the car ahead of me stopped short and I hit them!" What does stopped short mean? It means that the lead car stopped quickly and the following car could not react in time to avoid hitting them at the distance they were following, which means they were not following at a safe distance.

Default Re: Ticketed for Following to Closely

When I ment no traffic I ment it as there is not bumper to bumper not moving traffic. avoiding an animal im not going to say is out of the question but these are all just assumptions and what ifs. But the fact that there was 4 other cars in front of me all closer in distance than I was just baffles me. There must be 1000's upon 1000's of these tickets given in a single day by since I started watching other cars since my ticket. but my question still has yet to be answered clearly I know its my right to fight the ticket as you can fight any ticket. I want to know is it worth the time to even fight it or just pay.

1. Sponsored Links