Default Should I Hand in My Green Card and Re-Apply or Apply for I-191

I am an american permanent resident (holder of a conditional green card) and I left the US in September 2013, me and my wife (who is american) are wishing to return back sometime early next year.

I understand you cannot leave the USA for long periods of time, especially for over 6 months without returning. So my question is would it be easy to apply for the i-191 and return back to the USA next year, or send my green back to the USCIS and then re-apply through the whole process.

Would my chance of getting a green card be effected because I returned my previous one in or would it be in my favor since i returned the green card. Also I filled joint taxes with my wife, does this help my application.

Any advice would be most helpful, thank you

Default Re: Should I Hand in My Green Card and Re-Apply or Apply for I-191

You should have applied for a reentry permit before you left and can do so if you plan to be in the US for an extended period of time before Sept 2014.

Even an absence of over a year can be handled by a reentry permit if the reason for the extended absence falls within the scope of that program.

You can lose your green card for even short absences in specific circumstances.

Your wife can certain refile for you if you do lose your green card.

However, before you do anything, consult a US immigration attorney for a complete review of your situation.

1. Sponsored Links