Default Getting Back Pay from Social Security Representative Payee

My mom is my payee. I started getting ssi/ssdi in 2010. I am 30 now. I have moved from MI where she lives to Texas. When I won my case I got about $11,000 in back pay from ssa. She took the money and put it in a safety deposit box that I have no idea where it is. I could really use the money to pay off my car and bills and get my own place as I am living with my fiance and his grandparents. I don't want her as my payee anymore. I don't want her in my life anymore. I got a job and she was not happy about it and she has to report my earnings and everything. I wasn't even able to change my address. She has done nothing but be mean to me yell at me about my life choices. It's highly annoying that every time I do something with my bank account she calls me and asks me about it. I don't even think I can open a bank account down here with out her on it. I looked online to find the form to get her off as my payee and I can't find it. I asked earlier about my fiance being my payee but was told no. I don't know if I can be my own payee because I have a mental illness and I doubt my old doctor will approve it. I don't know what to do. Should I just flat out ask her for it? What if she says no? Is there anything I can do?

Default Re: Getting Back Social Security Pay from Payee

If you are really on SSI like you say and your payee has been holding $10,000 for you since 2010, you have been over the SSI resource limit since whatever month was the 10th month after that money was issued and all SSI paid to you since that date is an overpayment.

Or your mother stole your money

Your local office could give you the name of a local bonded payee agency who could manage your benefits for you. The new payee can't make your mother send them the money she kept/stole from you.

You could get your current treating psychiatrist to give you a recommendation (complete a form SSA 787) about whether or not you need a representative payee. If you don't have a treating psychiatrist, why not? It could be that you are no longer too disabled to work since you no longer need treatment or medication (especially since you are working) and are really not even disabled any more.

She should have completed payee accounting forms for SSA at various times, so if she told the truth, she would have said where she was holding this $11,000. So that would be in SSA's payee accounting records. Although, are you sure that she got that amount? It would have been paid in installments and the information about dates and amounts would be readily available to an SSI claims rep in your local office.

Fiances and boy/girlfriends do not make good payees. The control of the money gets in the middle of the relationship. Look what has happened with your mother. SSA could suspend her as payee as early as next month if you ask. Then she won't get your May checks, but neither will anyone else until you have an acceptable payee applicant.

I want to get off of SSI. I really didn't want to go on it in the first place. But, that's neither here nor there at this point. I have been looking for a new doctor, but the people here are completely clueless as to what is going on. I called the local community mental health and the woman didn't know anything and told me I had to call the crisis line for an intake assessment. She hastily gave me the number and hung up on me. I used the community mental health where I used to live and they were always so knowledgeable and helpful. Anyway, I know she got this money because I have seen the paperwork for it and she told me she has it and put it in a safety deposit box. I don't know what she reported to the SSA. She was always secretive about it. When I called to tell her I got a job she was so mad at me. When she called me back to say she called SS and told them about my move and job she said she's still having everything mailed to her.

I know my fiance wouldn't make a good payee but it was just an option I was looking at. My relationship with my family had gone south before I went on SSI, and it has only gotten worse since then. I had a wonderful psychiatrist where I used to live. He was so furious about how my other doctors over medicated me and I am now completely off medication. He was the one who recommended that I find a job.

You can go to your local office and ask for voluntary termination and then SSI will end and you would have to later prove that you are still disabled. Or you can go to your local office and tell them that your mother has $10,000 hidden from SSI which would put you over the resource limit and create a very large overpayment on your record that your mother should be responsible for repaying and she could be referred to the Office of Inspector General for fraud and payee misuse and never be allowed to be payee for anyone again. Then the $10,000 could be used as a compromise settlement offer to repay your overpayment. Of course, much of this would not work too well without your mother's cooperation and since you have indicated that she is a thief, my idea might not work at all.

You could also report to SSI that you are no longer disabled and want a CDR done so SSA can conduct a medical review and send you to a psychiatrist who will do a one time snapshot exam, and according to you, will not find anything wrong with you and your benefits will be ceased. This won't make your mother happy and you still may never see the $10,000 she stole from you and kept hidden from SSI. Or maybe she blew through it without your knowledge. There are people, in many economic conditions, who don't have the desire to hold on to money for later use and have never practiced thrift or have the patience for long term accumulation of wealth.

Or you could find a doctor, your old one or a new one, who will examine you and make an opinion about your personal capability to manage your own benefits. Or you could try to convince an employee at your local office that you are capable of managing your money by showing your budget, answering questions about your money and how it affects SSI benefits, and then report your living arrangements and income yourself.

Or you could let your mother continue doing the wrong thing. All in your power.

Default Re: Getting Back Pay from Social Security Representative Payee

Nice proposition Janke. I second the suggestion.

1. Sponsored Links