Default Error in DMV Title Record Due to Dealership's Mistake

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Pennsylvania

In 2012 I co-bought and financed a brand new car with her to essentially get the loan approved. Under everything that was presented to us that day I would be on the loan as and title. I called the large finance company on 5 separate occasions all who looked specifically at the title(pa is electronic but they have the file) and my name is listed as "and" with my friend. I was not given my own set of paperwork at the dealership that day all I have access to is the online account which gave me with vin to call penndot. After two 30 minute calls to them, I am not on the title they have in their system but what was explained was "they process what they are given". That I needed to contact the lienholder. Which I did and she pulled up the specific form that was filled out incorrectly by the dealership 2 years ago. I am being sent notorized documents I must take to the DMV to be added to the title and would most likely would have to pay the fee to do so, I'd have to talk to the dealership to see if they will pay for the error. My questions are can I personally be in some sort of trouble since everything sin e day one on Penn dot side is incorrect? Would I get charged with insurance fraud or anything like that BC of the dealerships error? And once I get this straightened out title wise will I be able to make sure my name is registered owner? Lastly advice on how to handle the dealership itself. I asked for copies of everything I signed that day and the FM told me they would only still have the bill of sale maybe everything else would be a maybe. I know this is a lie but I have every right to go to the dealer and ask to see all the paperwork in my deal jacket right?

Default Re: Error in DMV Title Record Due to Dealership's Mistake

sounds like the title is fine ... your friend AND you ... the registration will also show this, correct?

You know you cannot sell the car w/o your friend's permission?

Its up to you to check the paperwork the dealer completed; most dealers would compensate you but not all..

You say you are on the title, then say you are not....confusing post

Quote Quoting Melissa Martin
    View Post
    I am being sent notorized documents I must take to the DMV to be added to the title and would most likely would have to pay the fee to do so, I'd have to talk to the dealership to see if they will pay for the error.
    By all means, ask. The worst the can do is say "no".
    My questions are can I personally be in some sort of trouble since everything sin e day one on Penn dot side is incorrect?
    if we're to guess that you are the person insuring the car, and the insurance is only under your name, then there could be issues if a claim were made and the problem were found with the title. But that would be along the lines of the insurance company trying to deny the claim.
    And once I get this straightened out title wise will I be able to make sure my name is registered owner?
    If you aren't added to the title as a co-owner, it would be difficult to see how the situation could be regarded as "straightened out".
    Lastly advice on how to handle the dealership itself. I asked for copies of everything I signed that day and the FM told me they would only still have the bill of sale maybe everything else would be a maybe. I know this is a lie but I have every right to go to the dealer and ask to see all the paperwork in my deal jacket right?
    No. You can ask, but if you want to compel them to show you something and they don't want to do so you will have to sue them.

The title through Toyota financial has my name listed as co owner. I however am not on the title at the DMV BC as the woman told me from PennDot that they are processed what they are given making me believe that the car dealership sent the dmv /penndot only the other owners info and not mine. My friend drives and insures the car but I am worried what implications this could have for me.

As long as the insurance lists you and the friend and shows the vehicle domiciled at the correct address, you should have an insurable interest with no problem because you are on the loan.

1. Sponsored Links