Default High School Senior Ticketed for Speeding in a School Zone

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum, and unfortunately it isn't to help others. Earlier this morning I was driving my daily commute to school (High school senior, 18). The drive is all backroads with a speed limit of 50mph, until reaching the small town of Hockinson in which the speed changes to 35 while going through the town. In the center of this very small town, in which there are only a few buildings, there is a 4 way stop and a middle school. On the road I was driving on into town the speed changes from 50 to 35, then to 20 for the school zone (the sign with the flashing lights) I decelerated to the proper speed, though I might've been going 23-24 mph just as I passed the sign. I kept decelerating due to the stop sign ahead of me and came to a stop and saw the officer who was in an unmarked tan SUV hiding behind a church sign. He pulled up to the 4 way just as I did, so i motioned for him to go, and he motioned back for me. I went ahead and pulled into the middle school as I had to drop my brother off, as I pulled in he turned his lights on and I pulled into a parking space. He told me that I was going 29 in a 20 which I believe is completely false, he asked for my paper work, etc and then came back with a ticket. This caught me off guard as I thought he would give me a chance to explain myself. He then proceeded to ask my brother how old he was, he responded with "12" and then the officer decided to lecture him for sitting in the front seat and told him to make sure our parents know that you have to be 13 to sit in the front. Though this part is irrelevant, it kind of bugged me, so I looked it up and I saw the law was either 13, or over 5'1 and 100 lbs. he's 5'3 and 115, this shouldn't be a problem. Anyways, the officer let me go with a $210 ticket for 6-10 over in a school zone. He also told me that I cant fight it in court, which really agitates me because I know I wasn't speeding, especially not that fast.
    My question to you kind folks is what is the best way to go about this? Last year I got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign completely, but I managed to defer it. It was right around this time of year, so Im really hoping it doesn't come back. If I cant contest this should I just try to go to a mitigation hearing? I really need to try to either get out of this or at least reduce it, as I don't have the money to deal with this, or an insurance increase.
    Thanks in advanced.

oh, and the code is 46.61.440 if thats of importance.

Default Re: What is the Best Way to Go About Dealing with This School Zone Ticket

Read blewis's stickied post on getting discovery (Procedural Guide) and come back here

Default Re: What is the Best Way to Go About Dealing with This School Zone Ticket

If you want to save any money and/or keep it off your record, you MUST request a contested hearing. Make a copy (or digital photo) of the front and back before sending it in.

You’ve already used your deferral, and pursuant to RCW 46.61.440 (3)This penalty may not be waived, reduced, or suspended.” In other words, by statute the judge is not permitted to mitigate a school zone violation.

Your available options are:

1. File for discovery at least 14 days before your hearing date. (Be sure to read the thread mentioned above.) When you receive the materials, upload scans or photos (with identifying information redacted) to an image hosting site and link them in this thread. Forum members can then suggest possible defense strategies, if there are any.
    2. The prosecutor, if present at your hearing, might offer to amend charges to a less expensive non-moving violation that won’t go on your record (such as a cell phone violation). That is also a good approach if you have no solid defenses or want something easier. However if no prosecutor is present, your only choice will be to contest.

Thank you for the information, I will look into the discovery as stated above.

1. Sponsored Links