Default Billed by a Supplier for Services Not Provided

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: South Dakota

We had a uniform company for our small business. We had a delivery/pickup person who came some weeks and not others. However, we were still billed every week. I called and let the company know. Then we moved (literally moved, house where uniforms were picked up from was moved to another town). They continued to bill us that they were picking our uniforms up at the old address. We have asked for them to pick up all the uniforms and end the service as we have disputed so many of the bills. Is there a law that protects us from them billing us for services they did not provide?

Default Re: Being Charged for Services Not Rendered

are you under a fixed term contract that expires at some date in the future (very common for a uniform rental contract) ? Is the contract to pick up uniforms and the original address? Have you asked them if they can transfer the contract to the new address?

We were not in a set contract. I asked repeatedly about getting our pick up site changed and no one ever came to the new place (they drive right by it on their route). I have even asked them to just pick up the uniforms and they will not do that. Is there a law concerning billing us for services that they did not preform? We were billed for multiple times that they never collected or cleaned the uniforms.

Thanks for any guidance...
    Quote Quoting Nicole4bob
    View Post
    My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: South Dakota

We had a uniform company for our small business. We had a delivery/pickup person who came some weeks and not others. However, we were still billed every week. I called and let the company know. Then we moved (literally moved, house where uniforms were picked up from was moved to another town). They continued to bill us that they were picking our uniforms up at the old address. We have asked for them to pick up all the uniforms and end the service as we have disputed so many of the bills. Is there a law that protects us from them billing us for services they did not provide?

Just stop paying and look for another company to service your uniforms. Send them a letter saying their services are no longer needed. You do not have to pay for services not rendered.

it sounds odd that there is no fixed term in the contract since the supplier usually has to purchase uniforms for each contract they enter into. Due to that, they generally require some fixed term that allows them to recoup the cost of the uniforms plus the costs of cleaning and servicing the customer. The alternate term often in those contracts is if the customer terminates prior to that date there is a fee charged basically to cover the costs of the uniforms.

but if you do not have any fixed duration contract, as budwad stated, send then a written notice of termination of any contract you have with them. Along with that I would also deny owing for the time they claimed to service your company, especially since you have moved.

if they dun you again, reinforce your denial to pay for services that were not provided. If there is a "higher up" in their company, I would surely escalate the matter to a higher level at that time.

1. Sponsored Links