Post Can an Employer Deny an Employee Discount

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: California.

Recently at work, a couple of employee members that were on their day off, came into the establishment and was having a Sunday Brunch and ordering a few drinks and menu items. I personally do not know the whole situation, but over hearing a manager asking the owner if she could not give them their employee discount. The employee discount is 50% off of food items up to four people in the party, per employee. There were two employees and two members of their family. Overhearing the statement, I am curious if it's a violation of some code or if that's really feasible?

Default Re: Deny Employee Discount

Nope. That is an internal perk and not subject to legal regulations.

What discounts an employer gives to his employees is up to him. As long as he doesn't use them as a means to violate Title VII and related laws, the law does not give one hoot whether he provides a discount according to his own policy or not.

This is allowed whether the employees are working or it is a day off - employer decision. (as long as no discrimination & related laws are violated as noted by cbg above)

Discounted meals are a common benefit to restaurant workers.

1. Sponsored Links