Default What is Taxable Gross when You Report Income to EDD

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California.

So I am filing my very first unemployment claim and I am very confused about the section which states: Provide wages earned from the employer listed above for the following quarter.

At first went online and found all my old paystubs, added them up, and was going to use that total number BUT then I figured it might be better to use my old W-2's instead..

Does anyone know if I could/should use my W-2's to determine my gross wages from each quarter OR is it better to add up the paystubs?

Default Re: What is Taxable Gross when You Report Income to EDD

Use paystubs. W-2s are going to exclude pretax medical insurance deductions and 401K contributions. Also, w-2s are by the year and dividing by 4 won't get you the right answers. The quarters for UI purposes are very precise. If the check is dated Jan 1 to Mar 31 it's quarter 1, April 1 to Jun 30, and so forth. Doesn't matter that a check dated Jan 1 is for time worked in Dec, it goes in the quarter for which it is dated.

It doesn't matter if you're wrong. The employer has more than likely reported your income, but not all employers do it to your advantage. Be sure to examine your award letter. If you're getting anything less than the max benefit of $450/wk, you can quite often find missing money if you know what to look for. At that point, you'll need your paystubs anyway to back up that what was reported was incorrect.

Default Re: What is Taxable Gross when You Report Income to EDD

Thanks! I ended up calling EDD as well (took forever to get through). Just like you said my employer already had reported the income and it was more than I calculated (both would get the max benefit). So here's to hoping the paperwork on their end goes smoothly!

1. Sponsored Links