Hybrid View

Default Consequences of Shoplifting

For some newcomers:

The legal consequences of shoplifting can include any or all of the following penalties: jail or prison time, punitive fines, community service hours, and more. Offenders are often prohibited from entering the place of business from which they stole goods. Teenage offender’s parents will most often be notified immediately if their child is caught shoplifting.

If you have been accused of shoplifting, it is important to seek the immediate assistance of an experienced criminal law lawyer who can inform you of the shoplifting laws in your state, protect your legal rights, and maximize your interests.

In some shoplifting cases when the value of the goods is minor and it is a first time offense, perhaps committed by a minor, the criminal justice system will issue a warning to the shoplifting offender rather than prosecute the case. This depends wholly on the circumstances, and does not mitigate the unlawfulness of shoplifting.

Default Re: Shoplifting

Now... how to get people to read this before they shoplift.

I live here. Actually in a little area called the Knob. In Ohio

Default Re: Shoplifting

It won't matter. There will always be someone that will shoplift and then act like the real criminals are the LPs that catch them. Also to complain about a civil demand like they are being robbed, fuss and whine about how they were embarrassed infront of other customers, family, or friends like its the store fault they committed a crime.

Default Re: Consequences of Shoplifting

But what if the person really is innocent, Blue Crystal?

panther10758 Guest

Can you not read consult a criminal defense Attorney!

If you have been accused of shoplifting, it is important to seek the immediate assistance of an experienced criminal law lawyer who can inform you of the shoplifting laws in your state,

Sorry, that wasn't meant as an actual question, but as something more to think about, my apologies.

Exclamation Re: Consequences of Shoplifting

stealing stealing stealing

I have been caught stealing from a local walmart. There is many things that can happen to you and it just depends if it is your first offense or your 2nd things change. You first offense you may not get much you may just get comm. service hours (they suck) you may have to write a letter to walmart saying sorry. You could possible have to pay a civil fee which is alot (mine is 250 dollars) for stealing a little over 30 dollars worth of stuff. You could get jail time. It will also be on your record forever it never clears even if you are a minor. Also getting a lawyer might be good if you are going to court but they can be expensive. Also instead of asking a lawyer questions about your rights and being charged you can just ask your police officer or police station they have to tell you if you askkk......

hope this helpss

Quote Quoting stealer15
    View Post
    Also instead of asking a lawyer questions about your rights and being charged you can just ask your police officer or police station they have to tell you if you askkk......
    They will tell you that you have the right to a hearing (which you've already been given a date for) and your rights as to legal representation. However, police officers, police department, court clerk, cashier, etc. are NOT allowed, under law, to dispense legal advice. You ask and their response will be the same, "We are not allowed to dispense legal advise. Your questions are best discussed and answered by your attorney."

I stand corrected in that I said anything about what the person should do. And notice that everything in the advice given was for those "caught" shoplifting, which has not actually happened to that person as it appears.

I was not really attempting to give legal advice as much as I was picking up on the fact that what this young person described doing in one of the posts was a sign of serious depression and stress issues. I'm sure it's something like what has happened even with several celebrities who most obviously did not need the items or the money. It's a sick flirtation with disaster which can become addictive as gambling.

And I have seen occasions where the person actually did get away with it a few times, or at least the store did not come and get them. But the scary thing to me is that if they do get away with it, it gets worse, and they are likely to try it again until it does become a dreadful experience which ruins the rest of their life.

I wanted to stress to this young person, who sounds as though it may still be a high school student, probably dealing with the stresses and pressures of making good grades and getting into college that they need to deal with the underlying issues quickly, or it may keep happening. This is not the kind of shoplifting that people do for the money, this is a sign of desperation and a great need of professional help by someone who is on a very self destructive path.

yes this part is so true I'm dealing with it myself and it's a long hard road and it don't just happen over night it's been happening over a few years and slowly that it start with issues with others things that are not good for you like drinking drugs legal or not then might even doing all at once still not helping you get that feeling of not dealing blocking out all the stress anxiety or depression and then you find other ways of getting that feeling and it only takes few time to get hooked on that rush from it and your looking for more of it till your whole life is messed up and then dealing with arrest charges search and booking ride in police SUV and handcuff then you got all the court stuff and dang that's some really bad stuff don't go it alone pay the lawyer or your going to mess up your life even more...
    then too if your working try telling your place of work in HR what happen and waiting once again to see if you get to keep your job and it cvould be a job of many years.. after all that if your luck that you got a good lawyer he or she tells you that you should get some professional help do so it's helps with all the court stuff and more stress moods and it shows the judge and dis. art. you do take this very serious...
    also never blame the LP Officer or polices officers their doing their job and be glad they are because they just have saved your life because at most points the waiting on all the court dates what might happen and how you handle it at all but most think off suside feel only out ....as all of it hits you. not to say when others find out what you did and if they do stay around you it's starts like what do they really think of you and you have lose all trust ...

1. Sponsored Links