Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Asked to Come In for an Interview After Getting Caught Stealing at Work

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Minnesota.

I am an employee at X. Merchandise was found in my backpack as I was exiting the store. The items were confiscated, I was told to expect a call later. I got a call today and was told to come back into the store on Tuesday morning for an "in-store phone call" to talk to someone about the situation.

What the hell does this mean. Do I go back? Will bad things happen if I do, or don't?

Everything I've read has suggested that I don't go back - as they'll probably just question me.

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting, Released, Told to Come Back This Week to "Talk"

If you don't go back, you can be guaranteed you will be fired. If you do go, there's no guarantee you won't be fired anyway but perhaps you can save your job.

Quote Quoting LegalWriter
    View Post
    If you don't go back, you can be guaranteed you will be fired. If you do go, there's no guarantee you won't be fired anyway but perhaps you can save your job.
    Or, even more likely that going back could result in an arrest on top of losing the job. You should talk to no one without consulting with a criminal law attorney first.

I don't care about losing this job, I just want to maintain a clean criminal record. If I don't go back - couldn't they just call the cops on me anyways?

Also - I called & had a free consultation with an attourney who advised me to not go back, as they will probably just badger me with questions and try to get me to sign an admission of guilt. Thoughts?

They can easily file a theft report and seek criminal prosecution, if they haven't already. You may not care about losing the job but being fired for theft will still follow you whether or not you are prosecuted AND you are not eligible to receive unemployment....

What would you do in my position?
    Should I just call and say that I quit..?

I would go in and see what will happen, you could always say nothing and end the interview if they were to ask incriminating questions. Just tell them you no longer wish to proceed without a lawyer.

I don't think they will have police to arrest you on the spot as if they would have called the police, the police would have already knocked on your door to arrest you.

On the other hand, if you choose to blow this matter off, they may contact the police to file a report and have you arrested.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

You are going to be fired. I spent many years dealing with internal theft and never saw anyone keep their job. Depending on the value of the merchandise and whether it was a one time thing, prosecution may not occur. Yes, they are going to try to get you to sign a confession and probably a promissory note to pay them back.

I agree,don't go back,no chance in keeping your job. Say nothing and get a lawyer if your arrested.

Whether you go back or not is kind of a moot point. The reality is that they have enough info to go to the police if they choose. If you refuse to go, that may be enough encouragement for them to go that route.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast