Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Consequences of Shoplifting

I wanted to expand on the Consequences of Shoplifting:

As I stated above, I had to go through extra hurdles to get approved for a Real Estate License Application. I'm one of the lucky people, really. I had 20 years of work history, and former co-workers and employers who took the time to write Letters of Recommendation.

I had to go through that extra hurdle just for a Real Estate License Application as being a Realtor involves handling cash/checks, and even having a key to a sellers home. It's a very high level of trust.

A lot of jobs involve trusting an employee, or even a hired contractor. Not to just be skilled to do their job, but to not steal from them or their customers.

Shoplifting means your job options are very limited...anything that involves handling cash, credit cards, entering another persons home, being a big part of their business....those all involve a lot of trust...

Retail: Forget it. No one wants a thief working in their store. Not even for collecting carts, cleaning the bathrooms, or bagging groceries.

Receptionist: Oh yeah, an employer really wants a thief to be by the Petty Cash Box, taking payments from customers, making the trip to the bank and post office....

Fast Food: You may be lucky enough to be hired to work the headpiece, or operate a Fry Vat or clean the bathrooms. Cashier....likely not.

Bank Teller: Yes, the bank really wants a thief to handle thousands of dollars of cash each day.

Waitress/Waiter. Again, you handle cash and credit cards from the customers.

A lot of Building Trades. You are entering the home of XYZ Contracting Company's Client. Your employer wants to know you will not be relieving Jane Customer of that $20 bill laying on the kitchen counter while you install her new sink or unclog the toilet.

Porter at a car company: Do you want a thief detailing your car?

Hotel Desk Clerk, Hotel Cleaning Service....Would you check into a hotel room and just pray that Joe Thief Room Attendant doesn't clean out more than the toilet and trash can?

Computer Repair Tech: I don't want a thief in my home to repair my computer. Nor do I want to take my computer...and hard drive with my contatcs, resume, passwords, etc to a thief.

Telemarketer: You're marketing a company or product..and likely trying to get a Credit Card Number off of the person you are calling....

Babysitting/Nanny. You are entering a persons home. I'm sure they want a thief watching their kids...and maybe looking around for that $10 bill or piece of jewelry laying around...

Valet Attendant: Nothing like trusting your car keys to a total stranger...let alone one who has stolen....

See how long this list could get? And how even Minimum Wage jobs are toast because of a few dollars of stolen merch?

This is an example of a shoplifting consequence that one may never have thought of, even if one had thought about outcomes prior to committing.....http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/11...ntcmp=trending
    Growing old, mandatory. Growing up, optional!

One more, as I've experienced.

If someone knows you once shoplifted....expect to be blamed for anything and everything.

If your roommate loses his wallet three times in three months....it is your fault, even if you are 90 miles away, and you're working, and have all kinds of witnesses, and a photo of you at the job site.

If you quit your job and your boss wants to be nasty, she can accuse of you anything.

I stand corrected in that I said anything about what the person should do. And notice that everything in the advice given was for those "caught" shoplifting, which has not actually happened to that person as it appears.

I was not really attempting to give legal advice as much as I was picking up on the fact that what this young person described doing in one of the posts was a sign of serious depression and stress issues. I'm sure it's something like what has happened even with several celebrities who most obviously did not need the items or the money. It's a sick flirtation with disaster which can become addictive as gambling.

And I have seen occasions where the person actually did get away with it a few times, or at least the store did not come and get them. But the scary thing to me is that if they do get away with it, it gets worse, and they are likely to try it again until it does become a dreadful experience which ruins the rest of their life.

I wanted to stress to this young person, who sounds as though it may still be a high school student, probably dealing with the stresses and pressures of making good grades and getting into college that they need to deal with the underlying issues quickly, or it may keep happening. This is not the kind of shoplifting that people do for the money, this is a sign of desperation and a great need of professional help by someone who is on a very self destructive path.

One consequence of shoplifting, at least in my state, is that if a defendant has two prior theft / larceny convictions their third will be upgraded to a felony. The collateral consequences of a felony conviction can be quite severe including the loss of civil rights (e.g. to vote). While a first-time offender might get pre-trial diversion or a withhold of adjudication, even those can have serious negative consequences because it never truly goes away.

yes this part is so true I'm dealing with it myself and it's a long hard road and it don't just happen over night it's been happening over a few years and slowly that it start with issues with others things that are not good for you like drinking drugs legal or not then might even doing all at once still not helping you get that feeling of not dealing blocking out all the stress anxiety or depression and then you find other ways of getting that feeling and it only takes few time to get hooked on that rush from it and your looking for more of it till your whole life is messed up and then dealing with arrest charges search and booking ride in police SUV and handcuff then you got all the court stuff and dang that's some really bad stuff don't go it alone pay the lawyer or your going to mess up your life even more...
    then too if your working try telling your place of work in HR what happen and waiting once again to see if you get to keep your job and it cvould be a job of many years.. after all that if your luck that you got a good lawyer he or she tells you that you should get some professional help do so it's helps with all the court stuff and more stress moods and it shows the judge and dis. art. you do take this very serious...
    also never blame the LP Officer or polices officers their doing their job and be glad they are because they just have saved your life because at most points the waiting on all the court dates what might happen and how you handle it at all but most think off suside feel only out ....as all of it hits you. not to say when others find out what you did and if they do stay around you it's starts like what do they really think of you and you have lose all trust ...

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3