Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Consequences of Shoplifting

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    That is no joke. Argue with an attorney about their bill and they will bill you for every minute they are discussing your bill.

I had one attorney tell me he charged for my time in their office, with the exception of when I petted his dog.

There are lawyers who don't charge a fee for consultation, but you need to ask around, I've had free phone consultation, also free in office consultation, before he tells me how much it would cost to take care of the situation!

Quote Quoting hk996
    View Post
    There are lawyers who don't charge a fee for consultation, but you need to ask around, I've had free phone consultation, also free in office consultation, before he tells me how much it would cost to take care of the situation!
    Ask around and contact your State Bar Association who will provide resources of attorneys who provide Pro Bonno services and leads for some of the finest attorneys who will and can give their professional opinion on general questions about circustances and the law.

Cool Re: Consequences of Shoplifting

Quote Quoting deadlock
    View Post
    I have never met one who charges nothing for a consultation. Some charge 1/2 of their normal hourly fee- $150.00 for a consultation. Most charge at least their hourly fee of $300-350.00/hr.

One charged me $1250. for a consultation because she claimed she had to do research in order to discuss my situation.

What??? Why did you not call around? That is crazy! Maybe I am just poor??

Exclamation Re: Consequences of Shoplifting

stealing stealing stealing

I have been caught stealing from a local walmart. There is many things that can happen to you and it just depends if it is your first offense or your 2nd things change. You first offense you may not get much you may just get comm. service hours (they suck) you may have to write a letter to walmart saying sorry. You could possible have to pay a civil fee which is alot (mine is 250 dollars) for stealing a little over 30 dollars worth of stuff. You could get jail time. It will also be on your record forever it never clears even if you are a minor. Also getting a lawyer might be good if you are going to court but they can be expensive. Also instead of asking a lawyer questions about your rights and being charged you can just ask your police officer or police station they have to tell you if you askkk......

hope this helpss

Quote Quoting stealer15
    View Post
    Also instead of asking a lawyer questions about your rights and being charged you can just ask your police officer or police station they have to tell you if you askkk......
    They will tell you that you have the right to a hearing (which you've already been given a date for) and your rights as to legal representation. However, police officers, police department, court clerk, cashier, etc. are NOT allowed, under law, to dispense legal advice. You ask and their response will be the same, "We are not allowed to dispense legal advise. Your questions are best discussed and answered by your attorney."

Shoplifting hurts businesses because they lose revenue. To make up for it, they have to raise prices. I know the economy has been rough, but that's not an excuse to start stealing from stores.

Wanted to add, too, that the shoplifting charge can be damaging to anyone looking to enter a professional school or obtain professional licensing. Even probation/deferred adjudication will preclude you from licensing in some states. The $50+ item is not worth this risk to your livelihood/future.

This I have learned the hard way.

Well said, Wumb.

I applied for a Real Estate license application in another state. I had to go through a few extra hurdles to get approved.

- Certified letter of judgment from the court for my misdemeanor charges. $11 each, plus the driving.
    - Copy of criminal history on file with the State I reside in.
    - A minimum of 3 letters of recommendation, atleast one had to come from a former employer or coworker.
    - Write an explanation of the incidents.

I was approved

Pandorasbox,

This is "reformedteacher." Please personal message me, as I have something that I need to share with you, privately regarding my situation.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast