Default What to Do When Handicapped Parking is Blocked

Please excuse me if I have the wrong forum. My question will take place in the state of Virginia, in a National Park. Repeatedly I find that the handicapped parking spots are blocked. Sometimes it is due to snow removal, in that case they clear the parking lot by pushing all the snow into the handicapped spots. Today the spot was blocked by a dumpster. There are three of us needing the spots but only two available. Due to limited space each building is only allowed a number of spots. We find rangers parking in our spots, and they get blocked by trucks, snow etc. This issue was brought up two weeks ago in a group meeting and as one can see nothing has changed. I tried to see where I code find a code regarding blocking of parking spots to find out if it is illegal. What I find refers to those driving and parking in such spots. Any help one can provide will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Default Re: Handicapped Parking Blocked by Business

You need to escalate this issue at the Nat'l Park Level. I suggest the facility director first.

Snow removal, especially in Virginia where the event is infrequent and locals are ill-prepared is going to be a tough slog. You can certainly make EEO complaints (http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/eeotechguidance.htm) as well as seeing if you can "inform" the local park facilities your concerned with about their failure to adequately clear the spaces.

As for vehicles parked in or blocking the spaces, I'd find out the number of the local park police office covering the area and let them know. There's no exemption for federal vehicles breaking the law. Again, you're free to make an EEO complaint.

Check building requirements as to the number of handicapped spaces required to be provided. It is usually based on the total number of spaces in the entire lot.
    If there are an inadequate number of spaces available due to any of those currently there being blocked, speak with the building department. A blocked space effectively reduces the number of HC spaces and if the number of spaces falls below what is require, they must make additional spaces available whether it be by not blocking those currently in place or creating more.

if there is only a requirements to have two spaces in the lot, as far as them being blocked by snow or a dumpster, you have no basis to demand the third space be made available as it is not legally require to even be there. If somebody is parking in the space, they need to be ticketed and dealt with just like any other violator.

Doubtful any local building department has jurisdiction here on federal park land. If there is a space, it doesn't matter how much or little it is needed or required, it should not be encumbered.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Doubtful any local building department has jurisdiction here on federal park land. If there is a space, it doesn't matter how much or little it is needed or required, it should not be encumbered.
    somebody has to make the laws regarding number of spaces though. that is who I would seek out.

and while a space should not be encumbered, if there are an adequate number of spaces with whatever spaces blocked, then it is a difficult argument that it is illegal to block them as they are not required to be present anyway. If nothing else, the powers that be could simply go an remove the sign that makes it a HC space and then there is nothing that can be done, if there are a legally adequate number of spaces otherwise.

Now, if there are not enough spaces with those being blocked, if whomever is in charge of determine how many spaces must be provided is alerted, they should take care of remedying the situation.

Did you miss the point that this is federal land?

Default Re: What to Do When Handicapped Parking is Blocked

As I noted earlier, contact the facility director. If they do not remedy the problem call your congressman.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Did you miss the point that this is federal land?
    no but the last I knew, the feds were not exempt from HC spaces being required in a parking lot. I just don't know who determines the rules for them. I'm not certain the locals are not being able to enforce the local rules though. Local rules often apply to buildings and along with that, parking lots for federal buildings. This isn't like a traffic law. It is a building code.

I didn't say they were. There's almost certainly a regulation. This isn't a federal building on regular land. It's NPS property. The issue isn't that the spaces aren't there but they are being abused. I pointed out, blocked by a vehicle...call the park police. Otherwise there but encumbered, he'll have to make an ADA complaint (which is done through the NPS EO office which they call EEO even though it's not all "employment").

1. Sponsored Links