Default Car Dealership Damaged My New Car While in Service

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: New Jersey

I purchased a new 2014 $60,000. car without financing and first the brakes were immediately defective, the dealership finally replaced the rotors after some disagreeable conversing. While in service they put greasy handprints all over my off white premium leather interior with only 100 miles on the car. They weren't able to completely clean it off and said they would detail it.

Last week I brought the car back in because it wasn't starting and stalling and they hit and scratched the rear bumper of the car which now needs to be completely repainted, which will depreciate the car.

I would like them to take the car back and give me a new one since they damaged it twice in service causing depreciation. The car only has 600 miles on it.

What are my rights?

Default Re: Car Dealership Damaged My New Car While in Service

I would like them to take the car back and give me a new one since they damaged it twice in service causing depreciation. The car only has 600 miles on it.
    In terms of what they are obligated to do, beyond repairing the mechanical problem,

They should clean the leather. If they are not able to adequately clean the leather, you can talk to them about being compensated for the damage or having them replace the seat.

They should repair your bumper. The repair probably won't be noticeable, but if it is you can propose that they compensate you for the depreciation.

In terms of lemon law, relating to the engine problem,
    Quote Quoting New Jersey Lemon Law
    In order to qualify for relief under the Lemon Law, the vehicle must be less than two years old and have fewer than 24,000 miles. The defect must substantially impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle or be a serious safety defect which is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven.
    For lemon law to be triggered there must be two unsuccessful attempts to repair the same defect, and you must provide the manufacturer with formal notice of a third and final opportunity to repair the defect. If the defect is repaired, the law no longer applies.

I doubt that they will be interested in trading the car for a new one. If you cannot work things out with the dealer to your satisfaction, sometimes a report to corporate helps - but even then, you shouldn't expect a different car.

You could sue them for the leather damage if you believe it is permanent. A bumper repaint done in their shop on the QT will not be apparent. Make sure it is not logged during service. You are not getting a new car.

The dealer will not use thier insurance company to repair your vehicle. They will pay out of there own pocket for the repair. This is a win, win situation. They don't involve the insurance company, and CarFax will never know of the repair.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links