Default My Ex Refuses to Agree to Surrender Our Car to the Lender

My question involves an auto loan or repossession in the State of: Texas

Back in September of 2013 my girlfriend at the time had totaled her car in an accident. The vehicle was under my insurance and we had found another vehicle in November. We agreed to put the title and the loan in both of our names(title has "or" in between our names). I was the one making the payments on the vehicle as she was not working but we had split in January of 2014 after I found out she was seeing another man. I had refused to make the payments on the car note and had asked numerous times to refinance the vehicle to take my name off both the title and the loan. Since then she has refused to respond and pay for anything. I have talked to my bank since they are the lien holders to the car and asked for voluntary surrender forms but my ex has not complied to it. Are there any other options to take the vehicle off my hands? I didn't mind having it repossessed and paying off the difference but I didn't want to have my credit ruined in the process but I just don't want to pay on a vehicle when her boyfriend can since we are not together anymore. Thank you!

Default Re: My Ex Refuses to Agree to Surrender Our Car to the Lender

If you choose to default on the loan, whether you deem the subsequent repossession a "voluntary surrender" or otherwise, you will trash your credit.

If you cannot recover the vehicle from your ex-, and you and she cannot work out a mutually acceptable resolution to the problem that either involves making timely payments or paying off the loan, there's no good answer to your problem. Suing her for money damages would be tricky given that the court may be reluctant to address anything other than past, post-breakup payments that you've covered, wouldn't resolve the issue of default or repossession, and I doubt that she will be cooperative when it comes to paying a judgment.

Wait until the car is in a public place and take it. It is in your name also. Then surrender it to the lender at their auction site. Doing do proactively, they will likely work with you so you may re-buy and refinance it solo at auction and avoid a deficiency if it is going to sell for less than break even.

Thanks for the advice guys I will just cut my losses and take the hit on my credit. I don't understand why she won't comply and I really didn't want possession of the vehicle but if it's the only way to take it off my hands I'll be ok with that. Definitely a lesson learned in regards to consigning on anything... Don't do it! Lol

1. Sponsored Links