Default Can a Juvenile Get Sentenced to Detention for Shoplifting

Hi im 16 years old and I got caught shoplifting at a Walmart in Ohio. I stole about $10 worth of merchandise. The Walmart manager pulled me aside along with my friend who stole about the same amount in merchandise and called the cops. Taken to the police station and was sat in a room and mom came and got me. I smashed mailboxes before and I was put on Diversion for it Luckily im off and clear for that. Just received a letter in the mail about what im being charged with. So my dad called the prosecutor and the prosecutor advised we get a good lawyer because its 6 months maximum in a juvenile facility. But he told me minimum 30 days! Is that true? Can my attorney offer that I do community service, probation, and fines instead of having to go to that awful place. I cant fall behind in school im doing good and I worked hard to get where im at. ANY ADVICE OR INPUT WILL HELP. I know what I did was wrong and wish I could take it back (Dont we all) But I have truly learned from what I did. It was a disgrace to my character.

Default Re: What Are My Outcomes (Shoplifting)

Sorry kid, You already received leniency form the court. You are likely to get punished this time. If you are really lucky this will be over before you turn 18 and it becomes a permanent adult record and follows you for life.

Default Re: Can a Juvenile Get Sentenced to Detention for Shoplifting

The prosecutor can certainly ask that the court sentence you to thirty days (or more) in juvenile detention for your crime. That local lawyer can tell you, based on the typical sentences issued by the court, whether it's likely to happen or if there may be a way to get a different outcome.

If I was to enroll in a military school with that change anything?

Kid, do you realize the amount of money you cost your parents in legal fees every time you commit a crime?

If I were you, my first thing would be to get a JOB and give my parents my paychecks while I await sentencing.

You got the money to pay for military school, kid? Or are you expecting your parents to shell out for that, too, as well as your attorney and court costs and no doubt at least fronting any fine you're charged?

1. Sponsored Links