Default Illegal U-Turn in Business District, VC 22102

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California.

I was heading east on Las Tunas Dr, signalled left, and came to a full stop in between the two dotted yellow lines. The exact location of my car was slightly past Jamy Motors and in front of the blue gates. There were no illegal u-turn signs and no incoming traffic. I proceeded to make a u-turn heading west on Las Tunas and was subsequently pulled over by a police officer at the intersection of Las Tunas and Burton.

Intersection of Interest:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/12...fee301756c42c2

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1034...DuU4gqYWiQ!2e0

Is there anything I can do to fight this ticket? If not, how do I proceed and what is my best option? I'm not too familiar with the entire process since I've never gotten a ticket before and have been driving for 9 years.

Please advise. Thank you.

Default Re: Illegal U-Turn in Business District; VC 22102

Quote Quoting atcfreightliner
    View Post
    There were no illegal u-turn signs and no incoming traffic.
    There is no requirement for a no u-turn sign in a business or residential district. In both cases, u-turns are only allowed at an intersection. But not midblock.

View Post
    If not, how do I proceed and what is my best option?
    Go to court see if the judge will reduce the fine, either way take traffic school and for a sum of approximately (just over) $300 ($238 for the fine + $59 for traffic school + $10 - $15 for the traffic school course) all will be forgotten...

Hi,

I had a question regarding the depicted situation.

1) According to VC 22102, No person in a business district shall make a U-turn, except at an intersection, or on a divided highway where an opening has been provided in accordance with Section 21651

2) Would a two way left turn lane (i.e. parallel double yellow lines, interior line dashed and exterior line solid, on each side of the lane) in a divided highway within a business district be considered "an opening provided in accordance with Section 21651"? In other words, is it legal to carry out a U-turn in a two way left turn lane within a business district?

Thanks

Quote Quoting skyblue4848
    View Post
    Would a two way left turn lane (i.e. parallel double yellow lines, interior line dashed and exterior line solid, on each side of the lane) in a divided highway within a business district be considered "an opening provided in accordance with Section 21651"?
    The turning lane on the segment of Las Tunas Drive is not an opening, per se, as it would be defined under 21651 simply because you can enter and turn left -into a driveway for example-... So regardless of where you choose to enter that center lane, you are able to and that might be construed by some as being a lawful location to make a U-turn when in fact it is not. The purpose of the Prohibition is to regulate traffic and avoid situations where someone may be doing a three point turn, holding up traffic and with it being a business district with commercial traffic, probably some truck traffic, congestion can start fairly easily. So the answer is "no".

View Post
    In other words, is it legal to carry out a U-turn in a two way left turn lane within a business district?
    Again, it is still "no".

Being familiar with the area, I can give an example.... Just south west of the location you indicated, on Rosemead Blvd, just south of Las Tunas, and if you are headed northbound, THIS opening HERE qualifies per the definition under 21651 as an "opening" simply because the dividing section prevents (or prohibits if it consisted of an area that is not less that 2 feet wide, marked with double solid lines outlining each side of it) and the opening allows a U-Turn and a U-turn. Then again, sometimes you might come across an opening like that one with a sign prohibiting a U-turn (a sign would be posted) but allowing a left turn (which is depicted HERE in THIS opening allowing westbound traffic to turn south into the parking however, a sign prohibits a u-turn. And naturally, that opening, by the nature of its design, does not allow any turns if you were headed southbound.

And let me add this,not to confuse you but simply to warn you that ytiou could have been cited for another violation as well... If I may go back to this part from your first post for a minute:

View Post
    I was heading east on Las Tunas Dr, signalled left, and came to a full stop in between the two dotted yellow lines. The exact location of my car was slightly past Jamy Motors and in front of the blue gates.
    .... and for future reference, if these are the blue gates you are referring to, and if I were to spin around in my place to look at the dividing section you presumably drove over to make your turn, you can see that the entire segment does NOT have dashed lines on the inside of each double line... Instead, they would represent two double solid yellow lines and you are prohibited from driving over that area. That would be in violation of CVC 21460.

Thanks for the feedback “That guy” and just in the interest of full disclosure, I have no relation with “atcfreightliner” who initially started this thread. :-)

This email thread piqued my curiosity because there is a stretch of roadway on Victory Boulevard just west of Fallbrook Ave in West Hills, CA that is in the business district that has a two way left turn lane (i.e. parallel double yellow lines, interior line dashed and exterior line solid, on each side of the lane). There are three lanes on either side of the two way left turn lane so making a u-turn shouldn’t hold up traffic or necessitate a three-point turn. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to use google maps to post the exact location here that would be helpful for your analysis.

With that said, I believe what you’re saying is that regardless of the above scenario, as long as the two left turn lane is located in a business district, no u-turn is permitted, period. Is my understanding correct? Thanks

View Post
    Thanks for the feedback “That guy” and just in the interest of full disclosure, I have no relation with “atcfreightliner” who initially started this thread. :-)
    You know, I did not even notice... Had I noticed, I would normally ask that you start your own thread, particularly to avoid confusion -between answers given to you for your situation and those given to the Original Poster here, but it seems we are almost done here -unless the OP returns with more questions...

View Post
    This email thread piqued my curiosity because there is a stretch of roadway on Victory Boulevard just west of Fallbrook Ave in West Hills, CA that is in the business district that has a two way left turn lane (i.e. parallel double yellow lines, interior line dashed and exterior line solid, on each side of the lane). There are three lanes on either side of the two way left turn lane so making a u-turn shouldn’t hold up traffic or necessitate a three-point turn. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to use google maps to post the exact location here that would be helpful for your analysis.
    Well, if it is just west of Fallbrook then here...

HERE is a link to the view from a location just west of Fallbrook, looking back at Fallbrook (you can see the traffic light at Fallbrook up in the top left corner of the view... You can also see that single diagonal yellow line, it goes from one set of double yellow lines to the other set of double yellow lines... The area enclosed within red marking I made on this image below of the same view represents an island that you cannot drive over.

In fact, if you look at this view, you can see how that silver Camry went over the lines... That, by definition is illegal.

Also, if you look at the top right corner of that view, you willl see a no left turn sign, so you can't be headed Westbound on Victory and make a left into that BofA/Pep Boys lot... I'd be willing to bet that if you get caught making a left out of that lot onto Westbound Victory, you'll get cited. While I understand that you can possibly swing your turn out of the lot in a way to avoid that solid line(s), I think you would be leaving yourself at the mercy of the LAPD and while I can say that they have ALWAYS been good to me, you never know when you are going to run into that one cop whose a stickler for the rules and eh'd write you up.

Anyhow, I am drifting away form the U-turn question... From the point where you see the diagonal line, all the way to Fallbrook, is a no U-turn zone... But.. If you have made it that far, why not drive up to Fallbrook and make your u-turn there? If you head back in the other direction from Fallbrook, westbound towards Fallbrook Center Drive. its a no u-turn zone for the same reason we discussed here for atcfreightliner situation. But again, it looks like a left turn and a u-turn are allowed at Fallbrook Center Drive, so why risk getting caught... Get to the intersection, and make your turns there. The few cents you will spend uin gas are well worth the hedge against getting a $238 citation.

View Post
    With that said, I believe what you’re saying is that regardless of the above scenario, as long as the two left turn lane is located in a business district, no u-turn is permitted, period. Is my understanding correct? Thanks
    To put it simply, do not make a u-turn in a business district or in a residence district except at an intersection... This means that a 3 point turn and unless you make it by driving off the roadway and onto (for example) a driveway, is also illegal, in both a residence district and/or a business district.

Lastly, you might winder as to what qualifies a residence district or what makes a business district... Those are defined under CVC 515, and CVC 235 respectively... And there is one more code section that qualifies both, that being CVC 240.

If that does not cover your question, please start a new thread, post a brief description of your question and also post the cross streets to Victory on either end of the segment you are inquiring about and, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a thread in your name.

Many thanks for the detailed response. Should I have a follow up question specific to the Victory Blvd segment, will heed your advice and start a fresh thread.

1. Sponsored Links