Default Can You Be Criminally Charged for Selling a Car With a Lien

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

I am under repossession from my lender and I want to file bankruptcy.

Someone is willing to buy my car for parts and I am willing to sell and include the balance of the car in my bankruptcy.

Can I get criminally charged if I sell my vehicle for parts? I am not worries about the balanced owed I just do not want anything criminally against me to come up.

Default Re: Can You Be Criminally Charged for Selling a Car With a Lien

If the vehicle has a lein, you won't be able to "sell it" - in that you will be unable to affect a lawful transfer of the title, because you don't hold the title. You can't lawfully sell what you don't own, and pretending to own something you don't is fraud. So yes, unless you want to heap potential for criminal charges against you, don't sell something that isn't yours (ie you hold the title). From a practical standpoint, most reputable businesses that buy vehicles won't purchase one, even for parts, without the title, lest THEY be accused of dealing in stolen property.

Default Re: Can You Be Criminally Charged for Selling a Car With a Lien

And a private buyer will want the title, also.

By all means, find some chop shop, but be prepared that when they get busted, they will turn on all the sellers as part of a plea deal.

I may be a woman, but I won't buy as used car without a thorough inspection by a mechanic I trust and I will never allow second-hand parts on a repair either.

1. Sponsored Links