Hybrid View

Default Re-Entering with a Temporary I-551

I enter USA last December 2013 and until now (Feb 2014) I haven't received my green card yet. My family were planning to travel outside the US this coming March and i'm not sure if i will have the greencard on hand by that time. My question is can i re-enter US with temporary I-551 stamped on my passport?
    And my another concern is if yes, I enter here with the category F2A which is unmarried child under 21, I'm currently 20 y/o right now and on march i'll be turning 21. Will there be any problem as I re-enter with my temporary I-551 with category written F2A, yet I'm already 21 by that time?

Default Re: Re-Entering with a Temporary I-551

The I-551, having been issued within the past year, will stand as documentation of your permanent residency. Age won't be an issue.

Default Re: Re-Entering with a Temporary I-551

I was in Niagara Falls, Canadian side, for one day, tried to reenter the US with temporary I-551 stamped on my valid Refugee Travel Document. The officer at the border looked like he had never seen my document before, nor had he seen an I-551 stamp. He flipped and opened every page, scanned it a few times, then called two different people, to one of whom I overheard him saying: "You're an immigration guru right?"
    Got sent to secondary, where I had to ask someone to speed up my case since I had a plane to catch from Buffalo. He looks at my document and says "I don't know what you're doing here" stamps it and sends me on my way.
    Point of the matter, always be prepared for a meeting with a less than stellar USCIS employee.

1. Sponsored Links