Default Can My Neighbor Use Security Cameras That Capture Parts of My Property

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio. My neighbor has installed video surveillance cameras on his house, aiming out into his yard. I know that these cameras surveil my yard.

1) how much of the properties surrounding his is he legally (if at all) allowed to view via the cameras?

2) how does someone go about proving that they have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their own yard/on their own property?

thank you for your advice

Default Re: Can My Neighbor Use Security Cameras That Capture Parts of My Property

How do you know the camera catches part of your property?

I would simply ask the neighbor if he can change the settings so your property is not on the camera. "Hey man, I noticed you have the new security system. I am just wondering if you can make sure the settings don't cover my property at all, I just like my privacy.....thanks for understanding."

Default Re: Can My Neighbor Use Security Cameras That Capture Parts of My Property

It also depends on which parts of your property it covers, if any.

If it covers areas that are visible to the general public, i.e. your front yard, you have no expectation of privacy there.

If it is pointed at a fenced back yard or your windows, that's another matter entirely. In which case, I would echo Pandora's suggestion of politely asking him to change the positioning of the camera in question.

Quote Quoting blouzer
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio. My neighbor has installed video surveillance cameras on his house, aiming out into his yard. I know that these cameras surveil my yard.

1) how much of the properties surrounding his is he legally (if at all) allowed to view via the cameras?

2) how does someone go about proving that they have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their own yard/on their own property?

thank you for your advice
    DVRs also have an ability to 'mask' out parts of the camera's video feed that will be ignored and not recorded.

How do you know that neighbor did not set his up this way? I would not want my outside camera that's set to start on motion detect to pick up every dog/cat/child in the neighborhood walking down the sidewalk or across the street.

thank you to all who replied!... what does the Ohio Revised Code define as "an individuals' reasonable expectation of privacy in their own yard/on their own property"?

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    If it is pointed at a fenced back yard or your windows, that's another matter entirely. In which case, I would echo Pandora's suggestion of politely asking him to change the positioning of the camera in question.
    If a security camera positioned to monitor the owner's premises incidentally captures part of the property next door, that's not going to be unlawful even if it is incidentally capturing part of the back yard. Cameras can be placed from any lawful vantage point, just as you can stand in your back yard and look around. If the camera is focused, for example, through a neighbor's window on the interior of their house, that would be an issue.
    Quote Quoting blouzer
    View Post
    thank you to all who replied!... what does the Ohio Revised Code define as "an individuals' reasonable expectation of privacy in their own yard/on their own property"?
    I doubt that you'll find such a provision, but you can look for yourself here.

1. Sponsored Links