Default If You're Served With an Eviction Notice Can You Walk Away From Your Lease

My question involves an eviction in the state of: Oregon. My landlord gave us an eviction notice for untrue reasons and we moved out according to the eviction notice. We have paid rent on time and moved because we could see the writing on the wall as the house had some repair issues and the landlord blamed us. Now they are keeping our deposit because we broke the lease. Is this legal?

Default Re: If You're Served With an Eviction Notice Can You Walk Away From Your Lease

If you break your lease such that you are evicted, you remain liable for your breach of the lease. If you chose to vacate rather than disputing the grounds for eviction, your landlord can pursue you for damages resulting from your breach of the lease. They can apply the deposit to damage to the unit and to unpaid rent, refunding the balance (if any) or billing you for any additional amount owed.

Default Re: If You're Served With an Eviction Notice Can You Walk Away From Your Lease

If you somehow believe that the landlord has wrongfully kept the security deposit you have the option of suing in small claims court and try to convince a judge.

1. Sponsored Links