Default Can the Police Yell at You Over Your Driving Behavior

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Illinois. I was pulled over because my tires were spinning too much in the snow on a main street that wasn't plowed yet. I rolled down my Window and the police officer started screaming, "what are you trying to prove"? I didn't say anything but looked at him like what is going on right now. And he continued screaming that who are you spinning your tires like that and he said he followed me since the Block I turned off from which was my work and that I just kept spinning my tires. I am not going to pretend im an angel, I had a shitty smile and was starting Foward shaking my head but mainly cause I was shocked confused and angry. And he screamed get that look off your face right now and my smile was gone but I kept facing forward just watching every car spinning out cause we were in a middle of a snow storm. And he said do you want me to start writing tickets? And I just kept facing forward and he said answer me and I shook my head no cause honestly I couldn't even speak cause of how mad I was. And he was mad I wasnt speaking and he said ok now give me your insurance card and I had 2 old ones and not the new one and I was still searching because I thought I had the printout from online when I renewed the policy and he still screaming about answering him if I wanted him to write tickets and I turned to him and said no and he screamed I can't hear you do you want me to start writing tickets which I didn't know there was a law on trying to drive in snow. And someone came over his walkie talkie but I couldn't hear what they said and he says to me you're spinning tires cause there's no traction from snow and you need to not spin your tires like that and he said in gonna drive in a lower gear and I drive an automatic Mustang and I sat back more and said I don't drive stick and he is still screaming and acting like a crazy person and says you will figure it out and not press on the gas so hard. And hands me my license and says go. Of course now I got stuck because im pulled over in a snow pile and I just stayed there til plows came later and just cried. Is that a legal traffic stop? And can he just pull me over to scream like a crazy person and not even arrest or ticket me for no proof of insurance which I thought was odd. He now had a legit thing to get me but didn't. Now I grew up in this small town but now live in the city (Chicago) cause my husband is a fireman there. Now Evergreen Park is known for their racism and I am white but married to a Mexican and when he ran my plates my husband's name comes up and he has a pretty record from when he was younger but I am a good person, a mother of a teenager and 34 yrs old and I work hard and I stay out of trouble and the worst thing I do is smoke cigarettes but I felt like he was screaming at me like I was a criminal or a gang bangers wife or something

Default Re: Police Harassment

He yelled at you because you were creating a dangerous situation. The goal to driving on snow is not to spin your tires as fast as possible, which creates a very low friction scenario where your vehicle can easily slide sideways and crash into solid or moving objects. The goal to driving on snow and ice is to maximize your traction by feathering the accelerator and attempting to minimize spin and maximize friction. You were driving carelessly.

Ok, maybe there was a misunderstanding. We were in the middle of a snow storm, no one could drive straight. I Never went more than 5mph, nobody did or could cause the snow was coming down that fast and hard. While I was pulled over everyone was just spinning out everywhere and right before he left a car slid right into a curb in front of us. Now Mustangs have no weight in the back and the back end moves a little even in the rain. I was just pressing on the gas a little every time I basically came to a stop. I was at work already for 6 hours before this storm came and would have never drove in it if I didn't have to get home. Trucks couldn't even keep straight. Never once did I leave my lane or spin into a circle like other people. A 25 minute drive took 2 hours to get home because the storm was that bad and I drove that careful. My car has the loud double exhaust on it and I think it was more the noise that made him unhappy which he ran my plates and was more unhappy and needed to let out his frustrations on having to work in this storm. I do understand what you are saying too and I understand the safety of others and as I stated I am a mother and would never put myself in more danger than driving in the storm to begin with. I don't want a law suit or asking if I had one but wanted to know my rights and maybe a suggestion on what I should or could say even tho I think staying silent was the smartest thing I could do. I have been with my husband while cops have beaten him for no reason other than mistaken identity and believe me we had a couple law suits if we wanted to go that route. I am just sick and tired of these policemen stepping boundaries of what their job is. If you pull me over then give me a fn ticket and move on, I don't need to be screamed at like a child and I have a father. I have a lot of friends who are policemen too and get what they go thru but they choose this profession and if they can't handle it then quit. I have been thru a lot and don't need to be scared by being pulled over by a crazy man with a gun. As a white woman I never felt worse for what black, Mexican and other races of people go thru! To be disrespected by police is a huge thing with these racist police and it felt horrible being treated like that. And nothing ever happened to me like that when I had a German white girl name and now having a Mexican last name has me treated different even tho I'm blonde I am a "Mexican lover"

Quote Quoting kay526
    View Post
    Ok, maybe there was a misunderstanding. We were in the middle of a snow storm, no one could drive straight. I Never went more than 5mph, nobody did or could cause the snow was coming down that fast and hard. While I was pulled over everyone was just spinning out everywhere and right before he left a car slid right into a curb in front of us. Now Mustangs have no weight in the back and the back end moves a little even in the rain. I was just pressing on the gas a little every time I basically came to a stop. I was at work already for 6 hours before this storm came and would have never drove in it if I didn't have to get home. Trucks couldn't even keep straight. Never once did I leave my lane or spin into a circle like other people. A 25 minute drive took 2 hours to get home because the storm was that bad and I drove that careful. My car has the loud double exhaust on it and I think it was more the noise that made him unhappy which he ran my plates and was more unhappy and needed to let out his frustrations on having to work in this storm. I do understand what you are saying too and I understand the safety of others and as I stated I am a mother and would never put myself in more danger than driving in the storm to begin with. I don't want a law suit or asking if I had one but wanted to know my rights and maybe a suggestion on what I should or could say even tho I think staying silent was the smartest thing I could do. I have been with my husband while cops have beaten him for no reason other than mistaken identity and believe me we had a couple law suits if we wanted to go that route. I am just sick and tired of these policemen stepping boundaries of what their job is. If you pull me over then give me a fn ticket and move on, I don't need to be screamed at like a child and I have a father. I have a lot of friends who are policemen too and get what they go thru but they choose this profession and if they can't handle it then quit. I have been thru a lot and don't need to be scared by being pulled over by a crazy man with a gun. As a white woman I never felt worse for what black, Mexican and other races of people go thru! To be disrespected by police is a huge thing with these racist police and it felt horrible being treated like that. And nothing ever happened to me like that when I had a German white girl name and now having a Mexican last name has me treated different even tho I'm blonde I am a "Mexican lover"
    Alrighty then.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

Default Re: Can the Police Yell at You Over Your Driving Behavior

Heck I can make my tires do 120 mph and only go 5 mph. Doesn't change my response. If you cannot drive a rear wheel drive car in the winter buy a front wheel drive.

Default Re: Can the Police Yell at You Over Your Driving Behavior

Quote Quoting kay526
    View Post
    My question involves civil rights in the State of: Illinois. I was pulled over because my tires were spinning too much in the snow on a main street that wasn't plowed yet. I rolled down my Window and the police officer started screaming, "what are you trying to prove"? I didn't say anything but looked at him like what is going on right now. And he continued screaming that who are you spinning your tires like that and he said he followed me since the Block I turned off from which was my work and that I just kept spinning my tires. I am not going to pretend im an angel, I had a shitty smile and was starting Foward shaking my head but mainly cause I was shocked confused and angry. And he screamed get that look off your face right now and my smile was gone but I kept facing forward just watching every car spinning out cause we were in a middle of a snow storm. And he said do you want me to start writing tickets? And I just kept facing forward and he said answer me and I shook my head no cause honestly I couldn't even speak cause of how mad I was. And he was mad I wasnt speaking and he said ok now give me your insurance card and I had 2 old ones and not the new one and I was still searching because I thought I had the printout from online when I renewed the policy and he still screaming about answering him if I wanted him to write tickets and I turned to him and said no and he screamed I can't hear you do you want me to start writing tickets which I didn't know there was a law on trying to drive in snow. And someone came over his walkie talkie but I couldn't hear what they said and he says to me you're spinning tires cause there's no traction from snow and you need to not spin your tires like that and he said in gonna drive in a lower gear and I drive an automatic Mustang and I sat back more and said I don't drive stick and he is still screaming and acting like a crazy person and says you will figure it out and not press on the gas so hard. And hands me my license and says go. Of course now I got stuck because im pulled over in a snow pile and I just stayed there til plows came later and just cried. Is that a legal traffic stop? And can he just pull me over to scream like a crazy person and not even arrest or ticket me for no proof of insurance which I thought was odd. He now had a legit thing to get me but didn't. Now I grew up in this small town but now live in the city (Chicago) cause my husband is a fireman there. Now Evergreen Park is known for their racism and I am white but married to a Mexican and when he ran my plates my husband's name comes up and he has a pretty record from when he was younger but I am a good person, a mother of a teenager and 34 yrs old and I work hard and I stay out of trouble and the worst thing I do is smoke cigarettes but I felt like he was screaming at me like I was a criminal or a gang bangers wife or something
    Oh, and whether you drive stick or not doesn't matter. There's more than one gear on a automatic drive that will take you forward.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

1. Sponsored Links