Default Can You Be Fired for a Dress Code Violation

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: California

I work at a large company and my manager has threatened to terminate me if I don't change my shoes as they're not compliant with their dress code. I have cotton flats similar to TOMs and I was told I can't wear them because they are canvas and we can't wear canvas shoes. I don't have the money to get new shoes, and I actually brought home a copy of dress code and it doesn't say anything about canvas in there. Just no athletic or embellished shoes. It's neither. I then was to I would be sent home if I came to work with them. I came to work this Saturday with them and they had me talk with the store manager and He asked how much I got paid and said I should be able to afford new shoes. I tried to record him full but I only got a little lol. He said he will email someone in HR and when I asked if I could see the email before he sent it he told me he can't show me that but he can only show me the response.

My 2 managers embarrassed me by asking what I could afford while I was at the cashier station and even looked for shoes and brought them to me asking if 17 dollars was too much and then gave me a coupon. I was mortified lol.

This is only a portion of what I've experienced. I'm miserable. I am very flexible and was the only one chosen to stay from holiday help over others with more experience. I've been lectured from calling out sick (I worked one day being sick literally had no voice and clients making comments about me) and next day coughing up blood. I couldn't work and she knew I was sick. But still got lectured on calling out.

This woman is mean to clients also, a few Indian men came into work at yeah ill be honest they didn't smell great and she followed them and sprayed air fresh behind them.
    That's the tip of the ice burg and I just don't know what to do anymore. In California I thought they had to buy our uniforms if they are a specific material or color? Please help me I am clueless and a new resident

Default Re: Termination Because of Uniform

In general, if you can wear the shoes elsewhere than at work, they don't have to pay for them. If they want you to wear a shirt that has "Bob's and Betty's Kitchen" silk-screened on it, they have to pay for that because you couldn't wear that shirt anywhere but at work. But shoes that you could wear on your own time (regardless of whether or not you would) they can require that you buy.

The rest falls under unprofessional but not illegal.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

You don't have the right to read someone else's email, even if it's about you.
    If you're miserable, quit but don't expect to receive unemployment benefits.
    Being mean is legal. So is being stupid. So is sending you home if you don't have on the proper shoes. Their other option is just to fire you. It's not their problem if you can't afford to buy the shoes they require.

Say thank you for the coupon and buy the shoes if you want to keep your job.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    In general, if you can wear the shoes elsewhere than at work, they don't have to pay for them. If they want you to wear a shirt that has "Bob's and Betty's Kitchen" silk-screened on it, they have to pay for that because you couldn't wear that shirt anywhere but at work. But shoes that you could wear on your own time (regardless of whether or not you would) they can require that you buy.

The rest falls under unprofessional but not illegal.
    Thank you for the help! I know I will have to pay for them but my shoes are just plain black cotton shoes. They're not any of the type we aren't allowed to wear. Can I be terminated over this?

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Quote Quoting hlzirkle
    View Post
    Can I be terminated over this?
    Yes
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

Yes, you can be terminated over wearing different shoes than they want you to wear. Doesn't matter if the policy doesn't prohibit them. If your boss says you have to wear X, then you have to wear X, even if it doesn't say so in your policy.

Bosses have a great deal of power to be jerks.

Quote Quoting hlzirkle
    View Post
    Thank you for the help! I know I will have to pay for them but my shoes are just plain black cotton shoes. They're not any of the type we aren't allowed to wear. Can I be terminated over this?
    Like maybe something like these:

If so, these are what were called athletic shoes, gym shoes, basketball shoes when I was young:

Notice some similarities?

anyway, they get to interpret "athletic shoes" as they want. You may ask them to clarify it a bit so you know what they mean when they say "athletic shoes".

and if they sell shoes where you work, and you really do have difficulty paying for them, you might ask if they will allow you to buy the shoes there and take some amount out of your check each week that you can afford until they are paid for.

Go to Goodwill and buy a pair for $3. Go to Wally world or Kfart online and buy running shoes for $10.

Payless Shoe's.

$17 and a coupon and you can't afford the shoes....um....many other jobs are going to want you to wear the same style shoes. I'd take those shoes and the coupon because $17 is a lot cheaper than losing many weeks of pay and job hunting.

1. Sponsored Links