Default Roof Repaired by Sellers Started Leaking Within Months of Purchase

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Minnesota

My wife and I purchased our first home, itís a mobile home. Before we purchased the home, we had a walk through with the realtor. As we walked through, I saw water damage, brown spots, on the ceiling in the laundry room adjacent to the master bedroom. I asked what caused this but the realtor seemed clueless. All he suggested was repainting the ceiling. Before we left, he told us the roof was uneven. The ridge board, the wood beam that is the peak of the roof, seemed to have been pushed up exposing what is underneath the roof. I took this as the cause to the leaking on the ceiling.

The original asking price was $25,000. Since I liked the home, I asked for $18,000 since I would have to fix the roof. The realty company stopped me and told me they will contact their contractors and fix the roof and sell it full price. The realty company owner assured me he is doing this to protect me and himself since I can turn around and sue him if there was any damage after purchasing the home. The contractors ripped all of the shingles off the roof to examine the damage. They then replaced damaged beams/wood and re-shingled the whole roof.

Now, after 6 months, my wife and I began smelling damp dirt / damp cigarette smell in the master bedroom. We then saw a new damp brown stain in the corner of the room. With the winter weather getting warmer and snow melting, we believe it is coming from the roof. It looks like mildew rather than black mold. If I get an inspector to come and cause of the damage is due to the roof, must I pay for repairs or can I send the costs to the seller or contractor?

Default Re: Am I, the Previous Owner or the Contractor Held Liable

It does not appear you received a warranty on the roof or trailer. You need to determine why and where it is leaking. Verify whether you have a warranty. This does not appear to be a trailer roof but a wooden structure over the trailer.

Default Re: Roof Repaired by Sellers Started Leaking Within Months of Purchase

The first thing you will need to do is to determine the cause of the leak, as it may be unrelated to the prior repair. The second thing you need to do, if it is something that was insufficiently repaired, is to determine if a warranty for the roof repair transferred to you from the seller.

Let's hope for now that you have a warranty.

Default Re: Roof Repaired by Sellers Started Leaking Within Months of Purchase

You have lots or recourse in your state.

327A.02 STATUTORY WARRANTIES.

Subdivision 1. Warranties by vendors. In every sale of a completed dwelling, and in every
    contract for the sale of a dwelling to be completed, the vendor shall warrant to the vendee that:

(a) during the one-year period from and after the warranty date the dwelling shall be free
    from defects caused by faulty workmanship and defective materials due to noncompliance with
    building standards;

(b) during the two-year period from and after the warranty date, the dwelling shall be free
    from defects caused by faulty installation of plumbing, electrical, heating, and cooling systems
    due to noncompliance with building standards; and

(c) during the ten-year period from and after the warranty date, the dwelling shall be free
    from major construction defects due to noncompliance with building standards.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=327A.02

1. Sponsored Links