Default Can a Suspended Driver Use the Physical License to Get a License in Another State

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: California

I currently have a suspended license for non payment of court fines. It has now gone to a collection agency which will not 're-instate until payment is received in full. I still have my license itself physically in my possession and it does not expire until 2016. My question is since I still possess my license would I be able to get a new license in say Arizona if I can show proof of residency there? And if not how can I be allowed to still drive in California to and from work until said fines are paid in full?

Default Re: Can a Suspended Driver Use the Physical License to Get a License in Another State

Nope, no statement will issue you a license if you are suspended in another state for *ANY* reason (even if you become a resident of that state). You need to do whatever it takes to get your license restored in California.

Default Re: Can a Suspended Driver Use the Physical License to Get a License in Another State

Having the physical license in your possession means nothing. Wherever you apply for a license you will be asked if your license is currently under suspension or revocation in any other state and you will be denied a license in California due to the suspension. Also, your name and date of birth will be checked through the National Driver Register (NDR) and you will be denied a license until you are listed as “eligible.” The system is designed so that you cannot move around and/or apply for licenses in other states to avoid financial and other obligations.

I dug up the AZ statute for another scofflaw. I am not going to waste time doing it again. It does exist. Even better, you can continue to be cited for violating other CA laws relating to neighboring state licenses and converting, in addition to driving under suspension.

Quote Quoting eriknors
    View Post
    how can I be allowed to still drive in California to and from work until said fines are paid in full?
    Uh, maybe you can google something like "California hardship or drive to work license" and find out if that's available to you.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Quote Quoting eriknors
    View Post
    And if not how can I be allowed to still drive in California to and from work until said fines are paid in full?
    Uh, maybe you can google something like "California hardship or drive to work license" and find out if that's available to you.
    And if and when you do Google that, don't believe anything that tells you that there are provisions to allow you to drive to/from work while suspended for failing to appear and/or pay...

Yes, I realize if you don't get to work you can't get paid and if you don't get paid, you can't pay the late fines... There are simply no provisions to allow you a hardship license when you FTA/FTP.

1. Sponsored Links