Default How Long After an Offense Can You Be Sent a Red Light Camera Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Virginia

I used to live in the southern part of Virginia (temporarily for school) and have since moved back to my permanent residency in Northern Virginia. I just recieved a ticket from an incident 7 months ago that says "Red Light Camera Citation". Whether or not I actually ran the light is one thing but my question is is it even legal to give someone a ticket 7 months later?

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's ridiculous since courts always ask for people to pay on time or there's a fee and now I have a ticket that is asking me to pay for something that happened 7 months ago, I think that is ridiculous.

Default Re: How Long After an Offense Can You Be Sent a Red Light Camera Ticket

Quote Quoting jzhang172
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Virginia

I used to live in the southern part of Virginia (temporarily for school) and have since moved back to my permanent residency in Northern Virginia. I just recieved a ticket from an incident 7 months ago that says "Red Light Camera Citation". Whether or not I actually ran the light is one thing but my question is is it even legal to give someone a ticket 7 months later?
    Normally, any time limits on sending the first notice to the registered owner do not apply to notices sent to other drivers either revealed by the registered owner or by some good police work identifying the driver.

Either way, I am not finding any time limits that are specific under the one related statute: 15.2-968.1. Use of photo-monitoring systems to enforce traffic light signals.

Quote Quoting jzhang172
    View Post
    I think it's ridiculous since courts always ask for people to pay on time or there's a fee and now I have a ticket that is asking me to pay for something that happened 7 months ago, I think that is ridiculous.
    If there is a time limit that bars prosecution of this offense, then you're free to make that argument. I cannot find what the statute of limitations is for a Virginia traffic matter but I presume it probably one year. If that is in fact the time period enacted into law by the state legislature, then no matter how ridiculous you might think it is, it still is a valid citation.

It's probably legal.

Cities and states get in bed with these red light camera companies for revenue enhancement and they play fast and loose with the rules and the local courts back them up figuring victims won't spend thousands on an appeal.

If the citation has a photo of you and your car's license plate, you can complain all you want, but you're done.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    If the citation has a photo of you and your car's license plate, you can complain all you want, but you're done.
    We will see if that statement is true this Friday when my red light camera ticket goes to court. It's being handled by a specialized Traffic Attorney. It will cost me either $250, $500 or $750, which ranges from a total dismissal w/o points to a total conviction w/ points. I'll share the verdict either way it falls.

View Post
    It's probably legal.

Cities and states get in bed with these red light camera companies for revenue enhancement and they play fast and loose with the rules and the local courts back them up figuring victims won't spend thousands on an appeal.
    I think that may have been the case when some of these system were first introduced... On the flip side, some municipalities signed contracts that locked them in on payments these systems could not support... Lately, you might note, statutory provisions have become very strict on contracts, disclosures, warning periods... etc. And most people who object to these systems do so simply because they leave very little wiggle room for the defendant to claim that "the officer couldn't see me from his vantage point" or "the officer lied and I'm telling the truth"... etc. Which is what you are basically stating here:

View Post
    Correct?

If I can go back to this part for a second:

View Post
    Cities and states get in bed with these red light camera companies for revenue enhancement
    I heard it was actually a threesome with the insurance industry simply because it makes convictions so much easier, at least for the states where these violations count as moving violations that carry points... And the more points, the more revenue... So its a win-win-win situation!

And no, it wasn't meant as a cheap shot... Its a fact that insurers are in the business of making money. That's the duty they owe to their shareholders... Which is completely separate from the duty they owe to their insureds...

View Post

This has been the longstanding negative mantra by many on this Forum. One that says if you are guilty of some verbiage in a statute then you should give up and pay up.

I said I would post the verdict from my red light camera ticket which was fought by a Traffic Attorney last Friday. Well, IT WAS FULLY DISMISSED!!! So maybe a few around here could learn from this. But something tells me some of you already know attorneys can get these citations dismissed but you won't offer that as advise. Very strange?

For the record: For $250, not having to pay any bail up front, being sent a clear incriminating photo of me and my bumper behind the line when the light turned red is no match for a skilled Traffic Attorney. So a few of you here, and you know who you are, you can take your advice and shove it. It's flat out wrong.

I received no fine, no traffic school, and no DMV record. It's as though the system is set up for suckers that are too willing to throw in the towel.

Who would not fight a ticket showing with no ambiguity their innocence? Taking a certainty and equating it to an uncertain situation is like comparing apples and oranges.

Quote Quoting So Cal
    View Post
    This has been the longstanding negative mantra by many on this Forum
    Its a realistic assessment of how the great majority of these case end up. In fact, the only reason you are opposed to red light cameras is simply because they leave defendants very little wiggle room to argue any defense. So the solution to you, is for you to come on this forum to spread false and misleading information under a front that you are here to help these people!

Quote Quoting So Cal
    View Post
    For the record: For $250, not having to pay any bail up front...
    For the record, I will describe YOUR record of posting on this forum below... But if you posted no bail, then you would not get a trial scheduled even if you were in reality represented by an attorney. I am not aware of any court in the state which will waive bail requirement in any criminal case simply because the defendant is represented by attorney!

Quote Quoting So Cal
    View Post
    I said I would post the verdict from my red light camera ticket which was fought by a Traffic Attorney. WELL, IT WAS FULLY DISMISSED!!!
    NOTHING that you've posted ion this forum is accurate, NONE OF IT is/was factual, ZERO of it is/was true. And you expect us to start believing you now?

Really?

Would you like me to repost the links to the eight times you made up a claim about "red light camera tickets" having to be served by certified mail in California? This was after you were told several times by several members that it is not true? (Anyone reading this can CLICK HERE to go to a post which describes the general nature and content of your posts on this forum).

Would you like me to post the 4 screen names that you use to randomly agree with your own posts because that is the only way you can get any credibility? (See above link).

How about mentioning the fact that you bragged about this attorney of yours having a "stellar success rate" in beating traffic tickets when in reality his "success rate" is described on his website as "our 'win' list"? Do you seriously expect a win list to look disappointing to anyone?

Speaking of win lists... You claimed your trial was on the 14th of February, and yet your attorney's "win list" for the 14th of February does not list the code section for red light camera tickets as having been won on that date? Does this mean his "win list" is fake or does that mean your entire claim about a case and a dismissal is a figment of your imagination?

How about the fact that you are lying about him charging a retainer of $250 when in fact several reviews on YELP.com clearly describe his minimum retainer as $1500?

Or the fact that you claim that he "specializes in traffic tickets" whereas his website states that he handles "criminal matters including drug possession, DUIs, theft or fraud, AND domestic violence cases"?

So now you come back to claim that they are easy to beat.... If that is the case, then why are you so opposed to them? Why would you put forth all this energy and all this drama to mislead people into believing your dishonest claims?

If you think you can run around the forum posting your made up result, then feel free to do so... The more times you post this story, the more times I will repeat posting the reasons why no one should believe a single word you state.

This ticket and its end result were so important to you that you could not start your own thread about, instead, you opted to taint and disrupt each and every other thread that you posted in trying to spread false rumors and mislead people.

You're back here bragging about having " received no fine, no traffic school, and no DMV record"... Even if your story is true, it still cost you attorney fees so it sounds to me that the only sucker here is the one who couldn't comply with the law, ended up getting cited and had to pay for his mistake!

You ought to be ashamed of yourself... And yet have no shame, no decency and no self respect!

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    Its a realistic assessment of how the great majority of these case end up. In fact, the only reason you are opposed to red light cameras is simply because they leave defendants very little wiggle room to argue any defense. So the solution to you, is for you to come on this forum to spread false and misleading information under a front that you are here to help these people!

For the record, I will describe YOUR record of posting on this forum below... But if you posted no bail, then you would not get a trial scheduled even if you were in reality represented by an attorney. I am not aware of any court in the state which will waive bail requirement in any criminal case simply because the defendant is represented by attorney!

NOTHING that you've posted ion this forum is accurate, NONE OF IT is/was factual, ZERO of it is/was true. And you expect us to start believing you now?

Really?

Would you like me to repost the links to the eight times you made up a claim about "red light camera tickets" having to be served by certified mail in California? This was after you were told several times by several members that it is not true? (Anyone reading this can CLICK HERE to go to a post which describes the general nature and content of your posts on this forum).

Would you like me to post the 4 screen names that you use to randomly agree with your own posts because that is the only way you can get any credibility? (See above link).

How about mentioning the fact that you bragged about this attorney of yours having a "stellar success rate" in beating traffic tickets when in reality his "success rate" is described on his website as "our 'win' list"? Do you seriously expect a win list to look disappointing to anyone?

Speaking of win lists... You claimed your trial was on the 14th of February, and yet your attorney's "win list" for the 14th of February does not list the code section for red light camera tickets as having been won on that date? Does this mean his "win list" is fake or does that mean your entire claim about a case and a dismissal is a figment of your imagination?

How about the fact that you are lying about him charging a retainer of $250 when in fact several reviews on YELP.com clearly describe his minimum retainer as $1500?

Or the fact that you claim that he "specializes in traffic tickets" whereas his website states that he handles "criminal matters including drug possession, DUIs, theft or fraud, AND domestic violence cases"?

So now you come back to claim that they are easy to beat.... If that is the case, then why are you so opposed to them? Why would you put forth all this energy and all this drama to mislead people into believing your dishonest claims?

If you think you can run around the forum posting your made up result, then feel free to do so... The more times you post this story, the more times I will repeat posting the reasons why no one should believe a single word you state.

This ticket and its end result were so important to you that you could not start your own thread about, instead, you opted to taint and disrupt each and every other thread that you posted in trying to spread false rumors and mislead people.

You're back here bragging about having " received no fine, no traffic school, and no DMV record"... Even if your story is true, it still cost you attorney fees so it sounds to me that the only sucker here is the one who couldn't comply with the law, ended up getting cited and had to pay for his mistake!

You ought to be ashamed of yourself... And yet have no shame, no decency and no self respect!
    I am not getting into the mud with you again.

If you think you know who represented me, then please name him and stop playing games. Or better yet, as I offered before, I will send you all the information on him and my citation so you can verify it through state records. How much more forthright can I be about this? The only catch is you have to agree to apologize when you are proven incorrect. So are you willing to man up, or are you willing to shut up?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    Who would not fight a ticket showing with no ambiguity their innocence? Taking a certainty and equating it to an uncertain situation is like comparing apples and oranges.
    Pure gibberish.

1. Sponsored Links