Default Got a Ticket for Expired License Plates But My Registration Was Valid

My question involves traffic court in the State of: IN

I got a ticket for expired license plate. My wife drives the car most of the time and I did not realize the car did not have current registration papers.

I renewed my license 3 months ago but I forgot to change the plates. They sent plates with different color and cop could have identified easily.

So, when cop checked in his system, he knew that my registration was valid. But I was just driving with expired plates and old registration card. I always thought that in today's world of technology, vehicle license plate number is good enough for cop to pull out information. New and Old license plate have same number, just the year mark is different. Frankly I don't even know why DMV even issues new plates and new stickers. I always renewed my license in time, but did not think that I would get a ticket because of plates missing year mark.

Do you think, I can go dispute and ask for little mercy from judge? It's my mistake of being lazy but as a good citizen I paid for registration on time, I had insurance and my license was valid. The officer was doing his job. I came back from work and first thing I did was to replace the license plate. Do you guys think of any way, I can be given little mercy and avoid the fine.

Default Re: Got a Ticket for Expired License Plates But My Registration Was Valid

I can't speak for your state or prosecutor but in my experience, yes, you should be able to get a better resolution once the prosecutor understands that this was an oversight. Remember that it is the prosecutor, not the judge, who can reduce the charge, so start there.

Default Re: Got a Ticket for Expired License Plates But My Registration Was Valid

What code were you cited for? What jurisdiction?

Indiana statutes require display of current plates (and stickers) in an unobstructed manner (long history here, Indiana was the first state in the country to require cars to be registered and issue plates). It's not sufficient to have bought the plates, they need to be on the car. The officer is not required to look the other way just because the computer shows the car is registered.

You can try your luck in court with proof that you indeed had the car registered.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    What code were you cited for? What jurisdiction?
    I was cited for Expired License Plates.

How can I talk to the prosecutor and ask for leniency? I don't want to go and dispute if the first question they asked is "Were you driving with expired license plates?". If judge asks that question, I can't say no.

All I can say is that my registration was valid and I don't even know if judge would even care to think about it.

1. Sponsored Links