Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

Default Does an Independent Contractor Have to Give His Client a Social Security Number

Last March I began working for an elderly woman as her "assistant." She hired me on as an independent contractor, which at the time I was unfamiliar with. After working through the summer I decided it wasn't the job for me; I felt like she was taking advantage of me. Anyway, she just emailed me asking for my social, which I of course asked her why and told her I did not feel comfortable with.

So she sent me a W9 form asking for my social so that she can file a 1099. What do I need to expect from this? And should I fill the W9 out?

Default Re: Worried Independent Contractor (Former)

So you can pay Uncle Sugar his due.

Default Re: Does an Independent Contractor Have to Give His Client a Social Security Number

Quote Quoting Whitney Hamilton
    View Post
    Last March I began working for an elderly woman as her "assistant." She hired me on as an independent contractor, which at the time I was unfamiliar with. After working through the summer I decided it wasn't the job for me; I felt like she was taking advantage of me. Anyway, she just emailed me asking for my social, which I of course asked her why and told her I did not feel comfortable with.

So she sent me a W9 form asking for my social so that she can file a 1099. What do I need to expect from this? And should I fill the W9 out?
    You are REQUIRED to fill out the W9.

Default Re: Does an Independent Contractor Have to Give His Client a Social Security Number

You need to expect to pay taxes on what she paid you. Yes, you not only should but must complete the W-9.

retracted

1. Sponsored Links