Default Purchased a Motorcycle With Clean Title, then Discovered Salvage History

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Wa

I purchased a motorcycle a couple months back from a private seller out of Vancouver Wa for $5,200. Before going to inspect the bike I asked some general questions. The main question being does the bike have a absolutely clean and clear title with no brands. He assured me several times that the bike did not have a salvaged title or any other type of brands. I decide to go look at the bike and it looks very clean. While I was inspecting it I ask him a couple times again if the bike has been salvaged or branded. He repeatedly assures me that it is completely clear. He brings the title out for me to look at and the first thing I do is look at the section labeled Brands. There is absolutely nothing in the section stating it is salvaged. When I go to my local DOL in Washington everything goes fine and I receive my new plate. When I got home i looked at the Vehicle Title Application/ Registration Certificate closely and under the title Brands, I see a date and a salvaged brand. I wait a few weeks and receive my Official Vehicle Certificate Title and the same thing shows up under the brand section. It is to my understanding that him lying to me about the brand is considered to breaking a verbal contract and possibly supplying me with a fraudulent title. My question is what the best course of action to take would be in this case? If I had any idea that the vehicle was branded I would never have bought it. For all I know I could be sitting on a ticking time bomb every time I go for a ride.

I appreciate your responses in advance. Thank you.

Default Re: Purchased a Motorcycle With Clean Title, then Discovered Salvage History

Have you been able to determine if the person who sold you the motorcycle knew about the prior accident, e.g., due to the accident's having occurred during his ownership or due to the manner in which he purchased the motorcycle? It's possible that if he had a clear title for the motorcycle, he didn't know about the issue.

Do you have anything in writing from the seller about the motorcycle or its condition? If so, what? What representations were made in the seller's ad?

How was the motorcycle priced as compared to comparable, non-salvage motorcycles?

Have you had the motorcycle checked by a mechanic to verify that it's safe to ride?

Default Re: Purchased a Motorcycle With Clean Title, then Discovered Salvage History

There were absolutely no indications that the motorcycle was branded in any way. As for pricing, the bike only had 4300 miles on it so $5200 was lower than a lot of the others for sale but taking the time of year and year of the bike into consideration I felt it was a very good deal. About a week after the sale was made I was trying to have it licensed and he completely stopped communicating with me. The bill of sale basically says I have inspected the vehicle and am satisfied with the conditions, I assume responsibility and care of the vehicle, and the sale is final and non-refundable. I have been trying to find a place that says which states by law are required to indicate that there has been a brand.

Quote Quoting Tyler2532
    View Post
    I have been trying to find a place that says which states by law are required to indicate that there has been a brand.
    how about not worrying about 49 of the states and worry about the only one that is involved?

I am curious as to how he handed you a title that was not indicated it was not a salvaged vehicle yet the states records show it is a salvaged vehicle. For a vehicle to be considered salvaged, the state must have been informed of the damage. At that point, it was required to turn in the original title. From what I could find, here is no title issued to a salvaged vehicle. If the vehicle is rebuilt and passed the required inspections, a rebuilt title can be issued.

I suggest you call the state office and ask them how you received a title branded as salvage.

I forgot to add that I was able to get the bike licensed in the state of Washington. Everything I've read online while doing research has stated that a junk title can not be registered. So I'm not sure exactly what to make of the whole situation. The guy actually messaged me back today and told me that he had no idea that there was any type of brand on the vehicle. As I mentioned before when he registered it the title came back clear of any brands.

- - - Updated - - -

I said states because the brand was issued in Nevada. So there is more than one state's laws to take into consideration.

call the state and ask them.

As you stated, the information I have found states that a salvaged vehicle cannot be registered. Even more so, from what I have found, the stated does not issue "salvage" titles but upon repairing the salvaged vehicle, will issue a rebuilt title.

Thanks to all who have replied. Appreciate the help!

1. Sponsored Links