Exclamation Can You Get a Law Enforcement Job After an Unconditional Pardon

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Connecticut

1). If my brother who resides in Connecticut receives an unconditional or absolute pardon, is it possible obtain employment with the Connecticut state police?

2.) My brother was convicted in 2007 with two counts of third degree burglary (no weapons, was a business not a residence). He He was sentenced to 42 months jail (execution suspended), and three years probation. He has served probation with no violations, and he has paid court ordered restitution. He ended up motioning the court twice requesting more time (finding employment was a major hurdle) on probation so he could pay the entire amount owed in restitution without having to worry about a violation of probation (conditions of his probation were that he pay full restitution).

He has gotten legal advice regarding this matter from another lawyer Connecticut. The lawyer refused to take his pardon case (back in 2012) and told my brother that he would have to wait ten years from the date of conviction before he (the lawyer) would even look at his case. This lawyer claims to handle more pardons than any other attorney in the state of Connecticut. The lawyer also told him that his chances of getting a pardon are slim to none if he tries too soon on his own. He also told my brother that if he were to go through the entire process on his own without an attorney he advised him to wait eight years after the date of conviction. My brother is very discouraged and devastated about this. He has a wife and a couple of kids he supports. He works full time, and has done some community service. He has not been in trouble with the law since and he has matured alot since his conviction.

Tell me what are his options? and How serious are these charges? How long should he wait? What are the qualifications to be suitable (not eligible, we already know my brother is eligible he was convicted in 2007..) for a pardon?

I've read on other forums the experiences of other people going through this. Many people are denied, but many are deserving and they still don't get pardons granted. I'd hate for my brother to apply for a pardon that he has no real chance to get..that would be like making him relive the crime all over again after he has served his time and paid his dues. It like punishment.. Just doesn't seem fair....I'm his strongest advocate and I want him to achieve his dreams and aspirations; everyone makes mistakes especially when they are young. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Default Re: Law Enforcement After Unconditional Pardon

Pardons can be a crap shoot at best in many cases. The only thing your brother loses by applying for one, if he is denied, is a little bit of time going through the process.

Default Re: Law Enforcement After Unconditional Pardon

Pardons can be very hard to get,I would seek the advice of another lawyer. He probably should wait a year if that would help,maybe even wait 3 more. I know the wait is hard but if it increase his odds it would pay off in the long run. Even with a pardon the police would see his conviction even thou it's excused. The pardon gives him a chance at being a cop. It might be very hard still.

It's not violent,it's a crime of dishonesty and a felony so it definitely has a hugh effect. It's commendable and he should be proud that he is a different person. We do also have to look at things realistically. If waiting helps his chances then I would suggest he waits.

Default Re: Can You Get a Law Enforcement Job After an Unconditional Pardon

Quote Quoting J. Williams
    View Post
    My question involves criminal records for the state of: Connecticut

1). If my brother who resides in Connecticut receives an unconditional or absolute pardon, is it possible obtain employment with the Connecticut state police?
    POSSIBLE? Sure. Likely? Probably not.

Tell me what are his options? and How serious are these charges? How long should he wait? What are the qualifications to be suitable (not eligible, we already know my brother is eligible he was convicted in 2007..) for a pardon?
    It appears to be a felony, but not too serious. Pardons are political animals and iffy at best. If an attorney that specializes in these says wait 8 to 10 years, then that's probably what he'll have to do. He can certainly try sooner if he is statutorily able, but keep in mind that it's not politically astute to pardon convicted felons - especially if this is an election year.

Even with a pardon, he'd have to disclose this conviction to the background investigator. The fact he was convicted of burglary will weigh heavily against him. I'd say a career in law enforcement is a crap shoot - the state police, probably the least likely. He might want to speak with the background investigator of a local police department and get his or her impressions on the matter. It might be that a 3rd degree burglary conviction is no big deal in CT. Out here that would be 2nd degree burglary, and would be an almost certain disqualification absent some very stellar activity since then AND the full pardon or expungement restoring all rights and privileges ... even then, it's potential Brady material and most departments shy away from that.

1. Sponsored Links